• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard voltage reporting discrepancy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tobes

Registered
Has anyone else experienced this problem:
I set the voltage of my Duron CPU in bios to 1.725V but the on board monitor reports 1.78V (from bios or using MBM in windows).
No matter what I make the voltage in bios the monitor always reports about .06V higher.
My motherboard is an Iwill KK266R and I run my Duron at 1008Mhz (7 x 144).
The unusual thing is that a friend has an Abit KT7E with Duron 900. Before he began overclocking the onboard monitor always reported the exact voltage set in bios. After ramping up the voltage to 1.8V to overclock, his motherboard now reports about .06V higher than bios. No matter what he sets the voltage to now, this consistant discrepancy remains.
Has upping the voltage on the Durons damaged something and caused this error? Can anyone confirm this experience?

no, this is normal. It's the motherboard manufacturer's little way of making sure that your chip is stable at default voltage, because the board's controller adds just a little bit. It's a good thing though - that extra bit of voltage might make the difference to get you to that next MHz milestone.

SickBoy

Yeah..... but if its normal, why did my friends board report the exact voltage set in bios before he started pumping it up?
Only after he had set it to 1.8V did it start reporting the wrong voltage.
If he drops back to 1.6V the error is still there now.

In my case I dived right in to overclocking, I can't remember if the voltage was reported correctly in its original state.

Curious how two different boards, from different manufacturers, exhibit the exact same error (.06V).

BTW I'm not sure if the the actual CPU voltage is the one set in bios or the voltage reported by the MB monitor - and I'd much prefer it did what I told it to do in bios. Whats the point of having .025V increments when if the board slaps on .06V - thats just sloppy IMO.

Back