• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3d instability, CPU vs GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

I've attempted to return to gaming after a significant hiatus, and the instability that I previously assumed was due to my mining undervolt is persistent. System specs in sig.

What happens: Any time the PC is subjected to a moderate 3D load, it crashes. This is not a normal crash, there is a clicking noise and everything goes dark, including any motherboard lighting etc. The PC will not respond until the PSU power switch is toggled for about 5 seconds. Even if it sits overnight.

What is a "moderate 3D load? Superposition 1080p high or extreme will crash as soon as the scene loads. Doom will crash as soon as you get into action with multiple bad guys, firing guns, etc, but will load and you can run around. Superposition 1080p medium and heaven run fine.

What have I tried? DDU and fresh driver re-install. Bios defaults on motherboard. Switched to factory "low power" BIOS using the bios switch on the card. Even in the low power (200W mode) it does the same thing.

What as the card been through? Since I bought it about 4 years ago, I put a FC water block and had it in a custom loop. Even hotspot temperatures were always reasonable. I did flash a liquid cooling bios which raises both the power limit and core voltage. I mined with the card for about one winter (i.e. 6-8 months) using an undervolt and memory overclock. The card was drawing less than 200w and temps were always great. It was not stable to do other things such as game/youtube, but ran the miner fine and was okay for normal browsing/forums.

I think something is happening to cause the PSU to trigger one of its protections. I don't know if its damage to the power regulation of the card or if its the PSU itself having issues with the current the card is trying to draw. I am having a hard time monitoring during testing because the built in logger for the driver doesn't run in full screen mode, :(, and the logger for HWiNFO64 has so much in it I can't make sense of the CSV, since even the header line runs multiple lines on my monitor. Since this seems like a power issue, I am pretty hesitant to ask a friend to borrow their parts for testing and either subject their PSU (which is probably not as robust) to a card that has faulty power draw or vice versa subject their card to a PSU that is at fault.

Can anyone make heads or tails of this?

and run these commands to run system file checker from an elevated command prompt.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

An update, even running a light load long enough (CS:GO for 20 mins) caused the same to happen.

Vega64... oldschool... maybe bad gpu.. ?

Since the card is under water and a pita to swap into another system, see if a new psu does it. A quality 550w unit will easily do it.

Sounds good. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. My plan is to give the case a thorough cleaning, remove the cable extensions and re seat all the power cables. If the issue persists I'll try to get a budget PSU or just accept the downtime and send it to Seasonic for testing.

My first thought was bad GPU but... low voltage BIOS? PSU can definitely be the issue if it is not giving the GPU enough power or "POWA!" if you prefer. I don't.

I would make sure that the GPU is getting all of the power that it wants before calling it dead. Try a non low voltage BIOS?

Reasons for my thought is that 3D requires voltage and your issue happens when loading 3D programs. I don't think that it would be something like direct x or some other API would it? APIs are generally NOT something that I look at but it could.

How old is the PSU? Is it the Seasonic 750 you list in your sig? If it's old or been through a few power outages, it may be done. So PSU could be the issue but swapping in another PSU wihtout installing it could easily serve as a test.

I appreciate all the suggestions guys. I'm pretty sure the problem is fixed, although I haven't done any overclocking or tuning or extensive testing. I removed my cable extenders and plugged everything directly into the PSU, and I haven't had one of these "trip" crashes since. So far I've just been playing CS:GO and DOOM. I did have one more typical GPU crash where the screen went blank but fans and lights continued. I wouldn't be surprised if the GPU has degraded somewhat between being run at nearly 300W gaming and the mining, plus being 4 years old. I'll have to do more experimenting and testing, though I'm limited to a couple hours a day right now.

Regarding the BIOS, the card shipped with a dual BIOS switch, one was a stock 220W BIOS, the other a "quiet" 200W BIOS. I flashed the stock 220W BIOS with a 260W "liquid cooling" BIOS that was used on other reference cards that shipped with a hybrid/AIO cooler. It has been this way since 2018.

Regarding component age, everything was purchased and assembled in November/December 2018, except for a few upgrades (CPU 2600x ->3700x, doubled memory, added an SSD).

I've attempted to return to gaming after a significant hiatus, and the instability that I previously assumed was due to my mining undervolt is persistent. System specs in sig.

What happens: Any time the PC is subjected to a moderate 3D load, it crashes. This is not a normal crash, there is a clicking noise and everything goes dark, including any motherboard lighting etc. The PC will not respond until the PSU power switch is toggled for about 5 seconds. Even if it sits overnight.

What is a "moderate 3D load? Superposition 1080p high or extreme will crash as soon as the scene loads. Doom will crash as soon as you get into action with multiple bad guys, firing guns, etc, but will load and you can run around. Superposition 1080p medium and heaven run fine.

What have I tried? DDU and fresh driver re-install. Bios defaults on motherboard. Switched to factory "low power" BIOS using the bios switch on the card. Even in the low power (200W mode) it does the same thing.

What as the card been through? Since I bought it about 4 years ago, I put a FC water block and had it in a custom loop. Even hotspot temperatures were always reasonable. I did flash a liquid cooling bios which raises both the power limit and core voltage. I mined with the card for about one winter (i.e. 6-8 months) using an undervolt and memory overclock. The card was drawing less than 200w and temps were always great. It was not stable to do other things such as game/youtube, but ran the miner fine and was okay for normal browsing/forums.

I think something is happening to cause the PSU to trigger one of its protections. I don't know if its damage to the power regulation of the card or if its the PSU itself having issues with the current the card is trying to draw. I am having a hard time monitoring during testing because the built in logger for the driver doesn't run in full screen mode, :(, and the logger for HWiNFO64 has so much in it I can't make sense of the CSV, since even the header line runs multiple lines on my monitor. Since this seems like a power issue, I am pretty hesitant to ask a friend to borrow their parts for testing and either subject their PSU (which is probably not as robust) to a card that has faulty power draw or vice versa subject their card to a PSU that is at fault.

Can anyone make heads or tails of this?

I appreciate all the suggestions guys. I'm pretty sure the problem is fixed, although I haven't done any overclocking or tuning or extensive testing. I removed my cable extenders and plugged everything directly into the PSU, and I haven't had one of these "trip" crashes since. So far I've just been playing CS:GO and DOOM. I did have one more typical GPU crash where the screen went blank but fans and lights continued. I wouldn't be surprised if the GPU has degraded somewhat between being run at nearly 300W gaming and the mining, plus being 4 years old. I'll have to do more experimenting and testing, though I'm limited to a couple hours a day right now.

Regarding the BIOS, the card shipped with a dual BIOS switch, one was a stock 220W BIOS, the other a "quiet" 200W BIOS. I flashed the stock 220W BIOS with a 260W "liquid cooling" BIOS that was used on other reference cards that shipped with a hybrid/AIO cooler. It has been this way since 2018.

Regarding component age, everything was purchased and assembled in November/December 2018, except for a few upgrades (CPU 2600x ->3700x, doubled memory, added an SSD).
hello if i gonna guess

i shoud first one of problem with doom atleast i havent played it once but logic thinking when a game crash its "temp/ Wrong drivers or "windows installed your drivers" like why .............. whatever, when u dont know how a pc work my broo dont fix with under / overvolt , people dont neeed to maximize overclock deluxe, when u need more fps/no lags b/ blablabla,
LEARN HOW TO BLOAT WINDOWS, and change regedit for cpu / use "bitsum highest power performance scheme" DISABLE WINDOWS SERVICE AND IF U KNOW HOW DELETE, edge / onedrive/ bing all apps , disable microsoft store and block it, U SHALL HAVE max 60-70 services with windows and your own mobo drivers gpu cpu chipset and games , tips for all that " chris titus - winutil (debloat and fix) " second is for speed up pc , "fr33shy optimizion guide windows 10&11" follow to 100% and u have a clocked pc, with minimal risk, but in your case with errors never install drivers from windows update and stuff , download chipset/ gpu/ ssd/ wifi if u game dont use wifi. lan/ dont have "booost" softwere by msi/gigabyte/ or what ever, only drivers , turn off all C-states , MSCONFIG - advanced / startup chose all CORES/threads u have , press apply and your cpu is use all instead of half cores high and half low = lags,
change antiviurs to - ESET INTERNET SECUIRTY premium for free 30 days at time just change email , " tempmails" disable windefender in root, windows update ONLY SECURITY UPDATES , find it in chris titus -winutil

You're not making a great first impression by telling people they don't know how a PC works, replying to threads that are a year old, and typing with all caps and poor punctuation.

As to whether this is all needed or not, check out where you came to post. We don't do it because it's necessary, it's a hobby. I guess we could all go buy an x-box or something XD

i shoud first one of problem with doom atleast i havent played it once but logic thinking when a game crash its "temp/ Wrong drivers or "windows installed your drivers" like why .............. whatever, when u dont know how a pc work my broo dont fix with under / overvolt , people dont neeed to maximize overclock deluxe, when u need more fps/no lags b/ blablabla,
LEARN HOW TO BLOAT WINDOWS, and change regedit for cpu / use "bitsum highest power performance scheme" DISABLE WINDOWS SERVICE AND IF U KNOW HOW DELETE, edge / onedrive/ bing all apps , disable microsoft store and block it, U SHALL HAVE max 60-70 services with windows and your own mobo drivers gpu cpu chipset and games , tips for all that " chris titus - winutil (debloat and fix) " second is for speed up pc , "fr33shy optimizion guide windows 10&11" follow to 100% and u have a clocked pc, with minimal risk, but in your case with errors never install drivers from windows update and stuff , download chipset/ gpu/ ssd/ wifi if u game dont use wifi. lan/ dont have "booost" softwere by msi/gigabyte/ or what ever, only drivers , turn off all C-states , MSCONFIG - advanced / startup chose all CORES/threads u have , press apply and your cpu is use all instead of half cores high and half low = lags,
change antiviurs to - ESET INTERNET SECUIRTY premium for free 30 days at time just change email , " tempmails" disable windefender in root, windows update ONLY SECURITY UPDATES , find it in chris titus -winutil
Drugs are bad dude. Seek help now.

I'm pretty sure the problem is fixed, although I haven't done any overclocking or tuning or extensive testing.
I bought a Seasonic Prime GX-750.. nice PSU. Only problem is that it will crash when running F@H on my 5900X and 3070Ti. Usually I will have to flip the switch at the back of the PSU to get it going. Its fine in my sons system with 5600X. Seasonic might be nice, but their older hardware does not seem to like powerful, newer hardware.

I bought a Seasonic Prime GX-750.. nice PSU. Only problem is that it will crash when running F@H on my 5900X and 3070Ti. Usually I will have to flip the switch at the back of the PSU to get it going. Its fine in my sons system with 5600X. Seasonic might be nice, but their older hardware does not seem to like powerful, newer hardware.
LOL people like u talk xD your parents or someone in your circle take sleep pillz / benzos as medecin , even adhd meds people does leagally so why i cant do same on street? or where is get it, and i can bet i solve problems without even know or did know or had someone learned me about pc still i have worst pc systems in history and old vs 90% of all now have best amd shitty brand parts or just latest systems on market and parts, still my windows and startup/boot time is faster than yours, i solve problems who is close to impossible to solve becuse of old mobos without todays settings/ resets / bios default by flashback options, when almost all todays gamers who buy expensive computers and they dont know how to solve a " my screen black/ " vga error led/debug/ boot loop / first thing people say or manual says when u install and build it , BEFORE U START UP UPDATE BIOS to latest with flashback , still people have this error atleast 90% of rededit forums and subs who have amd have same problem when they build it , i fix my own **** what ever it is about " pc / life / money " whatever it is i do all work my self , and all u could say was " drugs are bad dude seek help now " ;D broo i have sold things since 13 years back here in sweden and hooked on coke/coca for almost more or less 5-8 years , and same time weed & hasch and some amphetamine , trust me i know i need to stop , but who and what can help you if u cant stop your self? ,my only way to stop is to work everyday to get rid of energy and get tierd and try solve problems in that life on that, bro people who say drugs is bad just stop bla blaa bla , yeah i know , but if u havent beeen in that life or had nothing in your life dont try me, ofc u know things about a normal life i maby know but havent been there , and here drugs are not like in US fking meth heads ofc its those here too but, AND EVEN HAVE A TODAY PC BUILD you got hussled becuse you dont use the power of it u shall have becuse u dont disable windows shiits other bloats , cfgs if u dont doo those things your pc will get slow anyway and error after error

That's enough.

@Oldtweaker - your posts are incredibly difficult to follow. They are all over the place and the punctuation is terrible. I understand this isn't your native tongue, but at least make an effort to make sentences and not run on walls of text. Also, stay on subject.

Yeah right now its pulling 450w under heavy 3d load. I think the Vega could pull close to 360w so system around 5-550w.

Good to know because a 5900x is on my wishlist. Not a need at all but if the price ever becomes right....

Strange because I always had the notion that Seasonic and EVGA were the best of the best. So now what's the best approach, just the age old trick of buying way more watts than needed?

Strange because I always had the notion that Seasonic and EVGA were the best of the best.
That is what I thought too until I got my first crash. The thing that bothered me about Seasonic the most was that their CSR told me to turn down my GPU clocks. Grrr. No. How come this cheaper feeling EVGA PSU can do it no problem? And now it is doing it with a 4070Ti, while running cooler. I am a little jaded with Seasonic right now.

Strange because I always had the notion that Seasonic and EVGA were the best of the best.
Some were/are. EVGA had a wide variety from MEH (their bronze units) to top notch. Seasonic was good to top notch. Just depends on them oem. Of course, they can all fail or have issues too. Sometimes fire hazard-class psus last years too.

Back