• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me bring a 1.8A back from the dead!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gruvin2

My dad tossed me this 1.8A 400Mhz cpu. It was totally caked with thermal compound on top. I used 90% alcohol and soaked it/scrubbed it. I even blasted it with compressed air. I can tell there is still some residule of the compound between the heatsink/core area. I have tried to get it to post with no luck.

Ultimately what can i soak this cpu in that will dissolve any leftover thermal compound without damaging the cpu?? Or is it a good chance that my pops fried the chip with all the thermal goop on initially??

Any info/suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Anyone have any suggestions to try? I was hopeing there may be an alternative to try before i give up.

if it's only a tiny bit of thermal goop, it shouldn't affect booting at all, if you applied some new thermal paste.

you're not trying to run it at your 2.4's speed right? you did clear the CMOS before you tried installing this 1.8A? If you just swapped this 1.8A into your 2.4C's place, then it probably won't run, as the BIOS settings are still for the 2.4C.

shiyan said:
if it's only a tiny bit of thermal goop, it shouldn't affect booting at all, if you applied some new thermal paste.

you're not trying to run it at your 2.4's speed right? you did clear the CMOS before you tried installing this 1.8A? If you just swapped this 1.8A into your 2.4C's place, then it probably won't run, as the BIOS settings are still for the 2.4C.

The computer would detect that the CPU has been changed and boot up default settings. The two different CPUs have different multiplers.

{PMS}fishy said:

The computer would detect that the CPU has been changed and boot up default settings. The two different CPUs have different multiplers.

I did try clearing CMOS just in case. The fans all spin but no post. I'm assuming there is still some thermal compound "in" the cpu i can still see alittle thru the small hole on the top of the CPU. I soaked it in 90% alcohol for about 20 minutes and the thermal compound turned into small clumps. I know there is some still left though. What would dissolve the Thermal paste but not ruin the CPU?

The small hole on top of the "CPU" is actually a hole in the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) on top of the actual die. In other words, thermal goop in there between IHS and die can't hurt the CPU's functioning as it's still 'outside'. I'd look for remnants of goop on the flipside- where the pins are. If a few pins connect through thermal paste it may bring trouble.

Thanks for the heads up FIZZ3. I took a soft bristle brush to the bottom (pin side) and cleaned it up prior but will check again. I think i'm SOL on this CPU if thermal goop between the IHS and die won't affect it trying to POST.

gruvin2 said:
Thanks for the heads up FIZZ3. I took a soft bristle brush to the bottom (pin side) and cleaned it up prior but will check again. I think i'm SOL on this CPU if thermal goop between the IHS and die won't affect it trying to POST.

Indeed, the CPU may have been damaged in the past by excess thermal paste. An alternative could be that the thing that keeps it from booting now is still there; i.e. the presence of the paste. I thought I might mention that the stuff could also be on the mainboard socket itself, especially if you tried the CPU a few times without complete cleaning. You might want to check that, before you risk another CPU.

I tested the CPU on a P4C800 Dlx, not the original MB it was in. I cleared the CMOS prior to booting and still no luck POSTing. I didn't even think to check if the Thermal goop got into the socket on the original MB. I know it does power up but its a 400Mhz MB and i have no other CPU to test in it.....unless a 800Mhz will just underclock on it...but then i may get goop on that CPU....Ahhh what to do ..../smirk

NovaShine said:
U soaked the CPU in Alcohol? U mean u dunked the whole thing in? That's probobobly your problem...

I did indeed submerse the CPU in 90% rubbing alcohol for about 20 minutes then let it dry out..and used canned air to be sure as well.

Soaking it in alcohol isn't going to hurt it:rolleyes:

I remember way back in the day of slot CPU's that I had a small amount of Artic Silver on my PCB connecting two pins in the slot and it would do tha exact same thing you are describing. Fans spin but no boot. When I cleaned it up it would boot just fine. I am telling youthough I barely noticed it as it was very little Artic silver. Even a very small amount can cause problems.

gruvin2 said:
I tested the CPU on a P4C800 Dlx, not the original MB it was in. I cleared the CMOS prior to booting and still no luck POSTing. I didn't even think to check if the Thermal goop got into the socket on the original MB. I know it does power up but its a 400Mhz MB and i have no other CPU to test in it.....unless a 800Mhz will just underclock on it...but then i may get goop on that CPU....Ahhh what to do ..../smirk

It sounds like you cleaned the CPU pretty well already. Maybe a swipe with a lint-free cloth dipped in 9x% alcohol over the socket will help. If not, the chances of resurrection are slim.

Well i'm going to do what i can over the weekend to see if i can revive this CPU. I wish to say thanks for all the helpful replys and assistance. I'll keep you posted with results. /Bows

try a can of brake kleen or carb cleaner from an auto parts store ~~~ the brake cleaner is normally a little weaker than the carb clean but dissipates better, and with the can pressure can do some serious cleaning

teezer said:
try a can of brake kleen or carb cleaner from an auto parts store ~~~ the brake cleaner is normally a little weaker than the carb clean but dissipates better, and with the can pressure can do some serious cleaning

Thanks for the info teezer. I had read about using brake cleaner. It's cheap i'll give it a try.

Back