• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This looks like a nice dual proc mobo with TONS OF RAMS SLOTS!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's why they call it "Melody" :D

That one's a serious Server platform...Now I'm waiting until they ship it to my house. For initial testing under Australian environment. :D

Looks like one serious motherboard... Must cost an arm and a leg though. (I imagine somebody who can buy 20GB of ram would'nt care...)

That would be 32 gig of ram, I can see 8 slots x 2 gig of registered pc 2700.
That would be a fortune of almost 32 G dollars?

Now thats what I'd call a setup :) Imagine those boot times. Besides that overall speed hehe.

the tech report on the A64 said that it could support a....xetabyte or ram or something? whatevers above a terabyte....a/w, they actually went ahead and cut the memory range off at a terabyte b/c it will be a while (couple years :D) before any server needs more than a terabyte.

only problem with RAM drives is when you restart, you lose their contents. Hence, having constant power to them is absolutely vital. Plus, unplug your PC, and you'll lose your install. They're INCREDIBLY cool, and obscenely fast, but there's a HUGE tradeoff for it.

wow that mobo has 16 slots so thats 16 gigs of ram! as for ram drives, you of course load everything from your real hard drive into your ram first then dont reboot as long as you can and keep the power on. when you reboot, the ram clears but you still have all the stuff on your hdd

maybe someone would be able to trick it into running raid 1 with another hard-drive and the ram would be the primary drive, and everytime u boot up everything is restored on to the ram :p (Slow boot up but think of the performance! :eek: :D )

tom10167[/i] [B]I want to know what a ramdrive is!! I would SO get 20gigs of ram and and put 2000 and major programs on it! EEK!!! [/quote][/b]Sounds like you know already - it is using your RAM like a hard drive said:
wow that mobo has 16 slots so thats 16 gigs of ram!
There are 2GB sticks of RAM available. Karifan already posted "That would be 32 gig of ram, I can see 8 slots x 2 gig of registered pc 2700."

You could try designing software to make the ramdrive work as a kind of RAID 1 array with serious write-caching. Have a boot-driver (or even BIOS loaded) that copies off the contents of a dedicated Windows partition to the RAMDrive before boot, and then have it continue booting from there. Any write requests will be directed to RAM first and added to a write-cache for the HD so that your permanent instalation is modified when nothing is greatly stressing the system.

Horrible boot times, but for a server that's not going to be turned off that much, it might be worth it :)

JigPu

Couldn't you keep the active files in an imageand set them up to decompress back into a ram drive when system powers up
or reverse into an image from ram when powering down?

Back