• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is crazy but hear me out. I'm going to tape up the back of my graphics card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

I have a 7850 that looks like this from the back.
http://content.hwigroup.net/images/...-7850-double-dissipation-core-edition-2gb.jpg

I also have a cooler master stacker 830 that looks like this from the back:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200811/cmstack830se_open2.jpg

I just got a 240 AIO watercooler that I can not fit on the inside of my case, so I'll be mounting it to the 120mm fan holes on the back of my case... The problem is (and try to imagine this while looking at the picture of the back of my case) that while one fan will be mounted perfectly in front of the 120mm fan spot, the other half the radiator will essentially be sticking out and away from those mountpoints. I have two options:

1- I mount the radiator facing up: it will be getting hot air from my powersupply on the intake (i'll have the air blowing away from the case).

2- I mount the radiator facing downwards: It will be getting hot air from my graphics cards.

now take a look at the image of the back of my graphics card... Most of that space is covered up by the PCI slot (so the bottom and the top of those holes are chopped off), there isn't that much space left for air to exit... I don't think that hole is there to eject air, but just a design.. When I put my hand near those holes I don't feel much hot air flowing.

So what about I tape down those holes, and let my graphics cards dump their full thermal load on the inside of my case?

Remember, the radiator is outside the case, so there's no air being dumped into the case by the processor, at all.

Also, my case has SEVEN 120mm fan slots, ALL of which are filled.... I have two 120mm fans blowing directly onto both graphics cards.

So, is this a good idea? What other options do I have really? Keep in mind

-Cant mount it inside case.

-Cant mount it on top or bottom of case, hose not long enough. Only spot i can mount it is in the back.

If you don't feel much, if any, air moving out the back then why even bother with taping it over?

How about this, buy a case the AIO will fit into...

Id mount it up... here is why.

You have a 1.25KW PSU and will not be remotely close to using half the power it can output. With that said, that PSU will be running cool as a cucumber. ;)

Not to mention, wouldn't be much different than mounting it up top in a case exhausting out the top as it is using the slightly warmed air of the case anyway.

Back