• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good dell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

Ok I am just wondering what pre-built computer is the "best". I mean this in terms of reliability, service, warranty and such. A friend just wants to get a cheap, reliable word/email computer. I was thinking on the lines of dell but I don't really have much exp. (Usually I just say let me build on for you but I know that pre built can be just fine for email comps.) right.

most people here would not recommend pre built systems, even if it was a Dell (which are pretty good).

but that's because most people here overclock, and for overclocking, you don't want what Dell or any other manufacturer puts together - motherboards that can't be overclocked, bad case airflow, power supplies which aren't meant for overclocking.

I must say that Dell certainly has some nice deals, if you don't want to overclock, and want a long warrantee. It's possible to have a 3 year warrantee with Dell, and their prices are reasonable for what you get.

So personally, if you wanted a pre built computer, I'd recommend a Dell. Just try to have the system configured as close to what you'd put together yourself for what that person needs.

yeah dell or a small local place - they cant compete with deals pricing component by component but you get what you want and need and have more flexibility and they aren't some huge faceless corperation... or get someone to build a system for him

I have to agree go with Dell. Watch the deal sites and wait for a cheap Dell system to pop up. Stack as many coupons as you can and pick er up cheap. Make sure to return in less than 30 days if you decide you can't stand it :p

Lets get some things straight here. I don't want the dell computer. Its a single working mother getting through college from a different counrty that wants the computer. I don't think she will be volt modding or direct die phase change cooling her comp anytime soon. She just asked me what a good cheap comp is. :D

Ah I did forget about the local computer places. There is actually a pretty good place a few blocks from here. (I just don't usually keep tabs on the lowest priced comps in town...you know us ocers always want the best of course)

Me building one is still an option but I just wanted to know if Dells were going to be the best option for a pre-built big corperation kind of computer.

thx guys.

(DUDE shiyan!! You just got on the forums like 3 mothns ago, I remember some of your early posts. Now your over 2000 post in 3 months! :eek: )

Much as I hate to recommend any of them, at least with a Dell, Gateway, or Compaq she'll get the whole rig in a package...monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc, and an OS, too, all the extras that add up. I'd probably have to say Dell is the best of the bunch there.

I'm completely anti-dell I say build a nice cheap system, if you pick decent parts you can still do it for cheap and they just dont have problems as much as dell or a gateway or something.

Dell builds good computers as long as you don't want to upgrade them. My wife still uses the Dimension 4100 I bought several years ago.

I am on my 3rd Dell computer and they ROCK.

I don't overclock so I don't mind because I like having a warranty and people just to send me replacement parts when something goes wrong.

I have saved a TON O' MONEY buy Dell computers from thier "Dell Outlet" section of thier website. The DELL OUTLET is refurbished and in most cases Brand NEW computers that were bought but never delivered due to credit problems with whoever bought them...

On the Dell Outlet, you can also by Monitors and stuff like that and if you do you save even more money. (Even though the deal is good to buy both, I have usually just gone through www.pricewatch.com for things other than the main CPU because they are by far the cheapest I have seen.)

Also, these computers come with any extras that people bought like Windows XP Pro w/ plus, Paintshop Pro, MusicMatch 7.0, or whatever happenes to be on that unit when you look at it.

My last PC came with everything under the sun and I don't even use 1/2 of the stuff like Paintshop Pro or Movie Studio Pro but when I sell my system it will look nice.

Good Luck.

for
reliable word/email computer.
you dont need lots of power, or anything. a real cheap homebuilt or a second hand will do fine.
a mobo with built in video a amd ~ 1.5 Ghz, with 256MBs of ram wil be fine. throw it in a case with a little cheap HD and add a monitor an linux and the only computer that will be able to touch the price will be from Walmart

Big_Baller said:
(DUDE shiyan!! You just got on the forums like 3 mothns ago, I remember some of your early posts. Now your over 2000 post in 3 months! :eek: )

:D hehehe I do spend a bit too much time here...

I recommended Dell, as they are probably the least hassle. Especially if you choose a 3 or 4 year long warrantee. For example, with the 3 year international next business day warrantee, things are quite easy if anything goes wrong. Just call the Dell branch of that country, and a tech guy comes along with enough spare parts to replace your computer the next day, unless you happen to live somewhere really remote, like Tibet. :p

I know this because a friend of mine from China told me about his experience with Dell. When a friend of his went to Tibet and called Dell's tech support, they still went! :eek: it just took them a little longer. He himself kind of abused the system, calling the tech support just before his 3 years warrantee was over, to get some parts of his laptop changed for some minor sound problem that might have been Windows related. The international warrantee still applies if you go to a different country.

I think the only other hassle free option is a local computer store, but of course there are good ones and bad ones.... so it might be worth her while to find a reputable large chain of computer stores.

Back