• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Total Linux noob installing hardware PCI modem in Mandrake 9.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

Hi, I realise you are probably bored of these questions, but I cant work this one out for myself however much I think about it.
I have Mandrake 9.1 installed and it seems to work ok apart from a few GFX problems which are a different matter.
So the problem I have is that my 56k PCI hardware modem comes with a Linux driver on the disk, but I have no idea what the instructons mean or how to carry them out.
This is the readme file :
6 steps to install
1. login as ROOT
2. extract the archive into a directory with "tar -xvf <archivename>.tgz"
3. cd into the directory it created.
4. Type: make clean
5. Type: make 536ep
6. Type: make install-536ep

I can log in as root ok, going in terminal and typing su root, then my password.
Then I dont know exactly what the instructions mean tbh.

I tried typing the bit in qutoes replacing <archivename> with the name of various files in the linux folder on the modem driver CD but it said 'directory does not exist'.
Also tried going to CD ROM directory then doing it but the same message appeared. These are the files and folders in teh linux directory if it helps:
folders:- coredrv, serialdrv,inc
files:- 536ep.inst, hamregistry, Intel-536ep-425.tar.gz.sig, makefile, vssver.scc, readme, licence.
Can anyone make out from this what I should be doing? It says I need to load the coredriver first but I dont know how to do that lol.
Any help or advice is good no matter how obvious as Im completely new to Linux. TIA, George.

Well, the archive you're looking for is the .tar.gz file, which is the same as a .tgz, or tarball.
First you'll have to mount floppy:
mkdir /mnt/floppy
Then mount the floppy:
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
Figure out where your tarball is:
tree -fi /mnt/floppy
Now copy the tarball to a temporary location on your HDD:
mkdir /usr/src/536ep
cp tarball_location /usr/src/536ep
cd /usr/src/536ep

At this point you can go with the directions provided at step 3.

edit: Those directions could be unclear if there's more than one tarball. If you can't figure it out, post the results of tree -fi /mnt/floppy.

Good luck.

edit2: minor clarification

Last edited:
Erm well I gave up in the end and bought a PSU for my external diamond supra so it works OK now. The advice is still very useful though as I have a similar problem installing my network card, which mandrake supposedly has the driver for already but it doesnt seem to want to install it. Ill try what u described but for the NIC instead, I think i get it now it was that i didnt realise how to mount the drive but now I know u have to do that I thnk it will work.

Back