• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit AI7 off angled socket / useless for waterblocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sbud

Abit AI7 off angled socket / ok for block mounts?

I've been debating on whether to get this new Abit motherboard for my P4. The thing is, the socket has been positioned diagonall y with the mounting holes. So naturally, if one were to attempt to mount a waterblock, it wouldn't be seated squarely with the cpu. Initially, some concerns arise, but I'm not sure. I don't think having the socket oriented diagonally would hinder a proper mount, but I don't know... anyone have any oppinions on this? You guys think this might be an issue?

13-127-164-04.jpg

Last edited:
Thats interesting, I wonder why they did that.

It shouldnt be a problem mounting waterblocks on that board. It also shouldnt have much if any performance difference.

Jon

Ya, there shouldn't be a problem, at least the socket is still dead center. Apparently, the reason behind the socket orientation was to improve power delivery to the cpu to increase system stability under heavy loads.

The only thing I can think of that might pose as a problem is the characteristics or certain blocks. Lets take the MCW5002 for example, I'd imagine the contact area would be compromised a bit due to the base of the Swifty. I guess you can say the same for the RBX, the contact would area would also be reduced due to the shape of of the block.

Hmm, seems like Abit didn't have us watercoolers in mind during the design :).

Last edited:
The contact area would still be right over the core where all the cooling is done, The edges of the IHS might stick out, but that shouldnt be a big deal.

Jon

It's been ages and ages since I've had an Intel chip, but does the cam box on the socket stick up higher than the IHS as it does on an Athlon? That would fubar any cooling attempt that used the bolts...

With the socket tipped liek that, and the bolts not, it looks like it was made by blind voting.:D

I asked this question some time ago, and got a few respsones [I think.] I assume it will have a slight problem, no one else sees this. If the core is slightly silted, blocks like the WW and RBX wouldn't cool AS efficiently. But then again, P4s don't cool that well with the IHS on anyways...as long as no AMD board tries this.

I have this board and the angled socket didn't concern me because like jon said the core is still directly in the centre regardless of what block is mounted on top where all cooling is mainly done so there are really no problems in my opinion.

If anything comes up i will post but all is cool now.
later

Back