• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Overclocking Motherboard for 2500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlepri

I have been researching for a good Motherboard for my first system I will be building after christmas (look for some good sales :) ). I was originally looking at the Asus A7N8X - Deluxe which seems to be popular, however alot of people are recommeding the Abit NF7-S V2 for overclocking. What makes the Abit so much better for overclocking and does it make any differance now that AMD is locking the 2500+? Thanks.

Since the 2500 Barton's are being locked now. They only thing you can take up is the CPU FSB. This basically will depend on the type of ram that you have on how high the CPU FSB will go. It of course depends on the mobo as well but, if you are OC'ing, I hear the NF7-S V2 is the best, but I couldn't tell you why its better than the A7N8X Deluxe, which is the board that I have.

Best 3 mobo for amd is the same company's for intel.
-----------------amd-----------------------intel
abit------------NF7-S---------------------max3
asus-----------A7N8X--------------------p4c800-e dlx
epox-----------8rda-8rga-8rda3+-----4pca3+

AFAIK DFI is making a come-up also.

The Abit boards are better for AMD because they have higher voltage options available, which is a must for overclocking.

Well If it is overclocking you are talking about all the board's I have listed AFAIK can be voltmoded on the vcore and vddim. Plus what is overclocking if you aren't going to volt mod it?

z3r0 said:
Since the 2500 Barton's are being locked now. They only thing you can take up is the CPU FSB. This basically will depend on the type of ram that you have on how high the CPU FSB will go. It of course depends on the mobo as well but, if you are OC'ing, I hear the NF7-S V2 is the best, but I couldn't tell you why its better than the A7N8X Deluxe, which is the board that I have.
wow man you learn fast :D

btw should be in the mobo section.
there are several reasons i see the abit as better.
1.alot more voltage options in bios. screw volt mods as they kill mobos if the slighest mistake is made.
2. higher fsb is usually obtainable with this mobo as it has vdd options. but even without high vdd it tends to get higher fsb.
3.the way it handles failed oc's
4.its like driving a caddy smoooooooth!
5. its orange!
6.many more people here use it for extrame ocing and is much easier to get helpwith.

some reasons i gave are just my opnions. but it really is orange :D

"edit" sorry i forgot to mention ive owned these:
1xasus a7n8x
2x8rda's
2xnf7-s's
so i think i can safley say the nf7-s rev2 kills the others.

Last edited:
deathstar13 said:
wow man you learn fast :D

agreed he was just asking yesterday how to change the fsb on his asus nforce 2 board.

I also like the abit nf7-s the best for overclocking. But I also think the epox and asus board's with the right kind of care (volts') can give close to if not almost the same results. The nf7-s is more of a nobrainer the anything. Not much needed as far as volt mod's anyway. I liked my old epox but for now I'am going to stick with the best bang for the clock board NF&-s.

Love my EPoX 8RDA3+, runs my 2100+ "B" @ 2.4GHz without a hitch at 12x200, and you can use up to v2.200 vCore.
Among other things, it has Dual LAN, Sata RAID, Onboard 6-Channel AC97, and of course the nForce2 SPP-128 (Ultra 400) chipset. :cool:

deathstar13 said:
6.many more people here use it for extrame ocing and is much easier to get helpwith.

Thanks for the input.
I guess I am sold on the NF7-S. Seeing that this will be my first build and never overclocked anything before, the ability to get help when needed is a bonus. besides, I like orange...:D

One other item - I believe the ASUS uses two phase setup for vcore, not as stable as a three stage. Abit? Not sure.

I love my NF7-S, best motherboard I've ever worked with. Good voltage options, and although the memory "only" to 2.9v, it usually overvolts a bit...mine overvolts by .1v. Getting high FSBs can sometimes require the L12 mod, but since you have a Barton, it's probably not necessary. If you check the Abit section in AMD Motherboards you'll find a lot more useful information.

Another awesome feature, like mentioned before, is the way it handles bad overclocks. Most boards you'll have to reset the CMOS, but this one tends to reset it for you...just turn it off for a few seconds and back on, and it boots with the most safe settings (like 100fsb, everything relaxed/default) AND it saves your old settings. I've had to reset the BIOS maybe three or four times total in all the time I've used this board.

I've done quite a few posts around and I'm very much inclined to say that the NF7-S is the best AMD overclocking board :)

I love my A7N8X Dlx v2.0. Mine does 218 FSB stabily on a 2500+, no vmods either. This mobo also saves from havnig to use the jumper on the mobo to clear the BIOS after a bad OC. I haveno experience with the Abit mobo.

I'm using both boards right now, and would readily recommend them both. However, I can hit a higher FSB with the NF7. (see sig)

Lot of people mentioned the need for good ram to get a high overclock. Don't overlook the fact that a decent power supply is also important.

peace.
unloaded

I'm pretty happy with my rev.2 8rda+.

Ooops, Epox only made them for a very limited time. My next board is going to be an Abit (NF7-s). If only I could find an unlocked Barton to put on it :(

Back