• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fortron 400W or 530W?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hario

Well, been reading all about how important PSU is, I think it is time for me to get a new and bigger PSU to replacy my old crappy one which already started to act up once in a while.

But, kinda undecided here, because newegg had the 400W Fortron (FSP400-60PFN RET) which had active PFC, and 530W Fortron (FSP530-60GNA) which had no PFC, and after reading the importance of PFC etc. I'm even more confused now on which one should I buy.

The price difference is what makes me sceptical that the 530W is somewhat inferior compared to the 400W.

Please help me on this

Thank you

if u looked closely at the rails on each psu, u will notice that the 530w has more amps on each rail than the 400w does. get the 530w, its the best bang for ur buck, next to the 350w, which is the other fortron psu that is a good deal

and fyi, u dont really need pfc, its just making the psu more efficient in what ouput it gives out, which means the power that it takes in isnt all being used, which makes the design a bit inefficient, but for our uses, its generally not needed

You definately can't go wrong getting a nice powerful PSU. Oddly...I'm surprised by how many people feel the need to get 500+ watt power supplies. Must be you fancy rich people....with your Pentium;Athlon CPU's and AGP graphics cards :)

Poor me in my onboard graphics and celeron chip....

I have just about every model Fortron. I have to say, the 530W is a gorgeous beast! It just means business and has a seriousness to it that needs to be experienced to understand. Either way, you won't go wrong.

One of the most important components of your computer is the power supply. Don't go cheap, get the best, and remember that it can be installed after the fact in your next machine. Too many people look for price on power supplys rather than quality. Go for it! :)

nikhsub1 said:
I have just about every model Fortron. I have to say, the 530W is a gorgeous beast! It just means business and has a seriousness to it that needs to be experienced to understand. Either way, you won't go wrong.

Heh, well put. Fortron supplies are the real deal, and the 530 is without a doubt the most serious one. A great deal and money wisely spent.

Isn't it basically overkill though buying a super-powerful power supply? It's like buying a tractor-trailor truck to haul a boat.

well i mean thats like the same thing as saying why don't u just get a 5 gb hard drive, i mean u dont really need all of that space

thats the same as saying u dont really need a very powerful psu, a very good psu is needed if u want to upgrade in the future, or if u want to OC more than ur current pus is limiting, it just gives more headroom for upgrades and allows you to attach more peripherals to the psu

Get the 530w. Only a few clams more than the 400w
with more bang.

You can't go wrong with Fortron/Sparkle provided you
get a model with "FSP" in the part number.
They are no PCP&C, but for the price Fortron/Sparkle
can't be beat.

:)

I see your point dalilman52. Although, it can be argued that even with upgrades, the power won't be used. I know numerous people with 3200+ Athlon XP processors, Radeon 9800pro, etc, that run all with a 300 PSU. How much upgrading is a person going to be doing that will require hundreds more?

All the parts of a PC get outdated so far, it's usually cost effective to just rebuy a whole new PC, as typically processors, memory, etc, all get outdated.

Back