• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Customer Returns on Graphics cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrSpanky

What would you say are the most common reasons for Customer Returns on Graphics cards?

im getting 10x gf3 ti500's cheep all Customer Returns

Hoping to get some working

Just wondering what u guys think I will be up against lol

there returns that havent been tested
there just as they are
i only want to get 1 or 2 working to be happy dont mind abit of soldering or anything

If they are untested, its really a toss up. Hopefully you'll get a few that work from people who just didn't want them.

I would guess alot of customer returns will be from people that don't know what they are doing and assume its not working correctly, as they havent installed it properly. With something like that though it really will be just luck, cross your fingers and you may get lucky with a couple of them.

-Chris

You might get the occasional one that is perfectly find, but if you work in the industry, you should arleardy know expect a fair ammount of product that fails after a short period of time or that is DOA.

The gf3 ti500 I had very nearly got sent back when I discovered that running it at any resolution over 800x600 gave a crapy, blurred image quality. I found out it was something to do with a low pass filter on the output, that could be fixed by removing 6 small resistors from the board. The mod took 5 minutes to do, the only tools needed were a pair of needle nosed pliers, and it worked fine at 1280x1024 and higher after that. details of the mod at http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1577&p=5

i have got the cards 3 of them seem to run at desktop and run 3dmark with no errors that with my extra 80mm fan blowing on them

all of the cards fans have packed up they either dont work at all or dont spin freely

the others
2x dont post
1x has strips going down the screen
4x have minor grapical errors when in the bios and dont work correctly

ive tryed flashing the ones with errors and had no luck

i found one was only registering 48mb video memory you i thought 2 of the memory chips were dead so i took off the heat sinks to see if there was any silly reason they werent working.
but i wasnt careful enougth and broke a resistor :( so i used the heat sinks on another video card.

it also looks like the fans rusted :S
look like poor storage when being posted as there was some moisture under the fans

Back