• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Giving up hope on multiple clients o P4 HT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoreGooder

Ok, I've tried everything I can find in this forum. I can only get one client running as a background service with my username and group number. Whenever the second instance of the client starts up it automatically rewrites the client.cfg file and deletes almost everything in it except for:

[settings]
machineid=1
[http]
active=no

I'm ready to accept that I'll only be running one instance of the client at this time, which will only utilize 50%of my idle cycles, unless someone can give me a hand with this. I have tried EVERYTHING, even using regedit to delete all references to folding, foh, srvany, folding, etc...etc, and starting all over, THREE times. And the uninstall routine is completely useless in my opinion because it does not clean out the registry entries.

Can't anyone help with this?

MoreGooder

That's the one I tried first!!!! The second client file is automatically changed as I mentioned before.

I'm starting to think that the new client released on the 20th of this year has some issues.

MoreGooder.

The second instance should absolutely not overwrite anything within the directory of the first instance. Are you using separate directories for each instance of folding?

Oops, just saw your other thread and I do see you have two separate directories.

It is odd. I run two instances on one of my P4's and haven't run into the problem you are having. Wish I could help you, but I can't think of anything else that could cause your problem.

I'm not sure if it would helps but are you using the -local flag in each directory? I had to use that when I ran 2 instances but it wasn't on a p4 with HT.

I had the same problem with the client.cfg files a while back and it was caused by editing them with wordpad instead of notepad.

I'm ready to accept that I'll only be running one instance of the client at this time, which will only utilize 50%of my idle cycles, unless someone can give me a hand with this.

Even if you are only running one instance on an HT machine, it will still utilize 100% of the idle cycles, even though the performance meter shows 50%. That being said, you will still get more points from running 2 instances on your HT rig

OCn00b said:
I'm not sure if it would helps but are you using the -local flag in each directory? I had to use that when I ran 2 instances but it wasn't on a p4 with HT.

How do I set flags on the backgroind service version of the client? I can't find info on that.

Thanks,
MoreGooder

Edit:

OK, upon further searching I did indeed find how to change the flags on a service. Thanks for this suggestion, and I'll give it a try!

hkgonra said:
I had the same problem with the client.cfg files a while back and it was caused by editing them with wordpad instead of notepad.

I'll look into that! I'll let ya know if that was the problem!

MoreGooder

Ok, that wasn't the cause. *sigh*

Ge this: I edited the config.txt file and replaced Machineid=1 with
Machineid=2, then double-clicked on the FAH console program, closed it, then reopened the config.txt file again. Would you believe that it changed the machineid back to 1!!! It is a bug in the FAH console program, I'm convinced. No matter what I put into the config.txt file, the console program recreates it with only those two lines previously mentioned in the thread.

I can't even get the team number to stay in!

MoreGooder

Ok ok ok ok.... It's NOT a bug in the program. You *have* to run the -local flags on each instance for HT to work. Therefore, if you just click a single instance it could very well write over your files.

And.. it's client.cfg, not client.txt, make sure that was just a typo in your post.

You should read the "Ultimate FAH Install" guide to check out where FAH writes to the regisrty and remove it all from your computer. Remove the directories and files as well.

After removing every piece of FAH out of your computer, try the dually SSE install again.

Wedo

Back