• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think about this system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoyoyo

Mushkin Level II 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-3500 - OEM -
$78.00

ABIT 865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "IS7" -RETAIL
$94.99

Antec 430W Power Supply, Model "TRUE430" -RETAIL
$71.00

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
$165.00

http://www.xoxide.com/thxacl.html = Case

Allready got a AIW 9800 PRO as vid card.

What do you think. Any advice is welcome. Trying to stay on the low budget so..

I want to be able to OC to atleast 3.0.

sounds like a nice system to me but i think you should hold out and save a couple extra bucks and go for the Abit IC7 it has the better chipset and will hopefully get you higher overclocks. Its what i did and i love it
good luck, abitavenger

The 875p chipset in the IC7 is worth the extra money, I also would save up and get the better board. You might want to consider going with 512mb of ram, you could always add a extra 256mb stick when funds permit.

Thanks for the replies.
ok, i changed it.

ABIT 875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "IC7" -RETAIL
$121.99

Antec 430W Power Supply, Model "TRUE430" -RETAIL
$71.00

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
$165.00

Total $357.99

I'm just going to get 256 ram for now and as soon as possible upgrade another stick. What RAM do you recommend thats cheapest and best one..
Mushkin or something else?

I would not even consider gaming on 256mb of ram. 512mb Min and bump it to 1gig as soon as finances permit. Heck I dont even recomed running a fast machine for day to day use on 256mb. The only machine running in our house with less than 512mb is an old P2-300 Compaq with 256mb.

Asisde from my Ram Rant, your system looks totally awesome. I wish I had your video card and CPU. Hyperthreading CPU's are so sweet.

Thanks for replying..

Since 512 is recommended. What ram do you suggest what brand?

How about Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM

I believe that one is cheaper then 512 Mushkin.

EDIT: Btw, i'm not a ultimate gamer so i could easily buy another stick after a month or so.. would that work?

Geil Value Series Golden Dragon 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM

Any good? Recommended for this system.

I have had that ram and it's not the best for overclocking. If you plan to OC I would look for something different. Although, I see you are looking to go on the cheap at this point and upgrade the ram later, I might just go with that.

Ah.. I'll think of going with
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM

Within a month or so get another stick.

Is this one good?

Don't have too much knowledge about memory. Is the speed a big difference?

I'm equally interested in this as I am considering a similar setup. Especially the memory bugs me because I have no experience with OC and therfore cannot judge the advantage the different brands give compared to the cost. I have been leaning towards the Mushkin 4000 Black level 2 at 360 USD for 1 GB but am unsure about this is the best bet.

One thing to consider is that I not going for the higest OC, but something that will run stable for a long time. I have read here that 3.0 GHz should not be out of reach with the 2.4. What are the numbers for the 2.8 GHz?

Will be used for HL2 and CS.

BTW: My first post here I believe. I have been lurking in the shadows since I signed up!

Last edited:
Back