• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think about this build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RFrost689

I am a first time builder but I am aiming for a fairly decent machine. As far as i've been able to tell all of these components are compatible and it will give me room to expand down the road while keeping my systems preformance level on the better half of the scale for a few years. I will be using the machine for gaming but over all I am looking for performance down the road and bragging rights. So far I have:

Intel 330 Series Solid-State Drive 240 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch - SSDSC2CT240A3K5

EVGA GeForce GTX670 2048MB GDDR5 256bit, 2x Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DP, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card (02G-P4-2670-KR)

Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011 - BX80619I73930K

ASUS P9X79 DELUXE LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Corsair Professional Series HX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX750)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH

I also plan on using the hard drive from my laptop containing Windows 7 which is a:

Seagate Momentus 5400 500GB 5400RPM SATA 3Gb/s 8MB Cache 2.5 Inch Internal NB Hard Drive ST9500325AS

What do you think?

3930K is not the best gaming CPU there is, FWIW - and I do speak from experience.

And, LOL, seriously about using a 5400RPM 2.5" drive in that machine.

Lol yes i am serious... i have quite a bit of credit with amazon with 0% interest... but it has limits.. Like i said i want to expand the build later but as for right now thats what i can afford. The primary drive of course would be the ss and im thinking about trying to copy the os over if possible... im a little fuzzy on that... I used to be big into xbox but i had wanted to get into pc gaming but im still green... what cpu would you reccomend?

I like that cpu... but where do cores come into play as far as speed? Also i liked that case lol but if you feel you know of a better one i wouldn't mind looking at that as well

Games use few cores. A 3570k is the price and performance king right now for a balanced gaming rig.. If you have a job where you encode DVDS 24/7, compile databases and all sorts of job stuff then get the massive CPU. Or if you plan to crunch for Cancer 24/7 get the really big $$$ CPU.

You will see no difference between that $$$ CPU and a 3570k, and it overclocks nicely for that 3-5% framerate increase, depending on your GPU, game, and the phase of the moon.

You only need a 120 GB SSD for W7 and other main files. It holds 2-3 games with room to spare. A 240 would be nice, not needed, but prices are decent. Couple that with a 1TB 7200 RPM drive partitioned to two 500's, one for main stuff, the other for backup, your set. Dump that old Laptop HD, you can afford a better one with dropping down to a gaming CPU. Maybe not, keep it as a storage HD, why not. For pics etc. Good use for it.

You will need a new OS the one from your laptop is probably OEM and you cant use it on another system.

Ok so i think I have got it now. I have made some changes to my "shopping list". I still have some room for expansion of course. Let me know what you think. Also I would like someone to critique my power supply and chassis although I am fond of a modular design and a blue theme with a view panel.

Intel 330 Series Solid-State Drive 240 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch - SSDSC2CT240A3K5

EVGA GeForce GTX670 2048MB GDDR5 256bit, 2x Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DP, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card (02G-P4-2670-KR)

Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Corsair Professional Series HX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX750)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

Lite-On iHBS212 12x Internal Blu-ray Disc Drive with Cyberlink Software

Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)
-------------------------------------------------------
P.S.: If you build for bragging rights, you're going to be severely disappointing. You can't buy PCs that earn bragging rights. Those that do are often custom fabricated from the ground up with lots of planning, lots of time, lots of creativity, and often a corporate sponsor or two.

hmmm... you're spending $1500 on a rig and i can't claim its well spent. Don't get me wrong~ I like what you're trying to do, clearly you're sparing no expense, but you can really optimize how your $$ is spent a bit better.

Since this is for gaming mostly (I assume)... you can get the same or better performance from other parts.

CPU - i5-2500k $210
MB - Asus Maximus V Formula EATX $279.99
RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x8gb) 997071 $83.99
SSD - OCZ Vortex 4 128gb - $99.99
GPU - Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB - $427.55
PSU - Antec HCP 850W - $119.99

Just changing out those parts will make a better (more powerful) gaming rig then what you're sporting at the moment ~ for $100 dollars less money.

I'd suggest you look into investing something toward some serious custom heat-sink/fans for your CPU/GPU... it will allow you to overclock the heck out of your system, and really blow the doors off pretty much anything that comes around for the next half decade

This is nice build actually i heard first time about this i never heard or seen this before anyways
this is nice done and nice post i like it thanks for make this thread ans share this information
with every body...

Back