• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 5 3600 / GTX 1650 Super -- My First New Build in 13 Years!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
My last *completely* new build was a socket 939 dual core AMD Opteron... 2 GB of RAM!

Of course I've had newer stuff along the way. At one point an i5 750, and a Q9650 @ 4GHz (what I still have now).

This is what I have ordered. I would like any and all feedback; I've been out of the loop for some time!

NOW Ryzen 5 3600 3rd Gen -- (was)AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4 GB
16 GB Corsair Vengeance
ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS AMD AM4
EVGA 500 BR 100-BR-0500-K1 500W
WD Blue 4TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40EZRZ
Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 64-layer 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive
Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass Black SPCC Micro ATX

Cooling / Fans:
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 (2x 120mm AIO liquid cooler)
Kit RGB LED PWM Case Fans 120mm with Remote Controller Fan Hub and Extension, COOLMOON Quiet Edition High Airflow
2X AIGO AigoDIY aigo 12cm 120mm Computer PC Cooling Case Fan with LED Halo Ring, 3-pin/LP4, Anti-Vibration Pads

Total is between $830 / $840. I am asking for feedback on parts chosen, BUT, this will also be a build log! (My first in a few years ;))

Last edited:
It's always fun to build a new box, isn't it?!!!

Ask us first next time. :)

I wouldn't have gone with Ryzen 1000 series with 2000 and 3000 out. Ryzen 1000 series got them back in the game, but isn't nearly as good as what is out now. It's better than a Q9650, surely, but isn't up to Intel at that point. I would have waited for stock on the new processors, 100%.

That said, you have a huge problem. B550 motherboards do not support Zen/Ryzen 1000 series CPUs. The CPU you have will not work in B550 or X570 boards. Your choice is to either go X470/B450 or return the CPU and buy Ryzen 3000 series for that board. Without a doubt I would do the latter.

Is this a gaming machine? You should be OK at 1080p 60 fps in some titles, but being a GTX 1050 and 4GB, it is already on the backend of the curve. But if you aren't a huge AAA Ultra gamer, it will be OK.
EDIT: I see you mentioned 1650 in the title, but 1050 in the text, lol. A 1650 is better than a 1050 so that is good. It's a 1080p/60fps/ultra card in many (not all) titles.

What specific RAM kit did you get? I see Corsair Vengeance but no details. What kit/speed exactly? If you end up waiting for Zen2/Ryzen 3000 you'll want to get DDR4 3600 as that is their sweet spot. If you are sticking with that CPU and down

That heatsink... it's a bad sign when your fans cost almost 3x as much as your CPU cooler... That thing looks like it will do the job on that CPU, but barely. Looks smaller than a stock Intel cooler... but more RGB bling. Why not a Hyper 212X or whatever? Something known to be decent?

Unless that 4TB is really cold storage, I wouldn't have went with a 5400 RPM HDD... so slow.......

Last edited:
It's always fun to build a new box, isn't it?!!!

Ask us first next time. :)

I wouldn't have gone with Ryzen 1000 series with 2000 and 3000 out. Ryzen 1000 series got them back in the game, but isn't nearly as good as what is out now. It's better than a Q9650, surely, but isn't up to Intel at that point. I would have waited for stock on the new processors, 100%.

That said, you have a huge problem. B550 motherboards do not support Zen/Ryzen 1000 series CPUs. The CPU you have will not work in B550 or X570 boards. Your choice is to either go X470/B450 or return the CPU and buy Ryzen 3000 series for that board. Without a doubt I would do the latter.

Is this a gaming machine? You should be OK at 1080p 60 fps in some titles, but being a GTX 1050 and 4GB, it is already on the backend of the curve. But if you aren't a huge AAA Ultra gamer, it will be OK.
EDIT: I see you mentioned 1650 in the title, but 1050 in the text, lol. A 1650 is better than a 1050 so that is good. It's a 1080p/60fps/ultra card in many (not all) titles.

What specific RAM kit did you get? I see Corsair Vengeance but no details. What kit/speed exactly? If you end up waiting for Zen2/Ryzen 3000 you'll want to get DDR4 3600 as that is their sweet spot. If you are sticking with that CPU and down

That heatsink... it's a bad sign when your fans cost almost 3x as much as your CPU cooler... That thing looks like it will do the job on that CPU, but barely. Looks smaller than a stock Intel cooler... but more RGB bling. Why not a Hyper 212X or whatever? Something known to be decent?

Unless that 4TB is really cold storage, I wouldn't have went with a 5400 RPM HDD... so slow.......

Thanks for saving me a huge disappointment!! I really didn't want to keep (get stuck) with the 1600 anyway. I'll spend more money, $160 - $220 for what makes the most sense... How about an R5 3600? Or 3600X? Both have same cache / specs, I'll be doing some mild OC but likely not much. Yeah, the cooler I chose is garbage, but the stock HSF is absolutely trash looking IMO. I had $20 left on a prepaid card so I bought that on impulse. Building a PC for a friend soon that can use the bling factor and won't be OC'd so I'll use it for that when I get an AIO or real HSF.

Yes, 1650 not 1050 :)

The RAM is indeed DDR4 3600 MHz ( CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 )

Was $70 for 2x 8 GB, and I think I'll get another one ordered up unless there is little point in having 32 GB. Heaviest loads I'll be doing will be some video editing and encoding.

The 4 TB will be for my archived TV series seasons, DVD rips & movies, and archived files. If it does 90 MB/sec I'll be happy... I have a WD Blue 500 GB I bought back in 08 that does around 100MB /sec if I recall and I'm pleased with that. (may use that for game installs to leave some room on the NVME)

Let me know what CPU belongs in this $1,000 +/- PC. Mid/Higher end preferred, I did spend $150 or $160 on the mobo so might aswell stick something nice on it. I considered 8 core, but not spending $300 on a chip. I think 6 cores outta be good, but I want fast single / dual thread performance too.

Thank you so much, please let me know what you think of everything else I've chosen... And recommend a CPU so I can order one that'll work tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited:
What do you think about something like this?

CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2, Close-Loop AIO CPU Liquid Cooler, 3rd Gen Dual Chamber Pump, 240 Radiator, Dual SickleFlow 120mm

That's the "V2" but the "V1" looks identical. V1 has 345 reviews with 4/5 eggs avg. Unless an air cooler will perform as good or better... But I think this would definitely look nice and clean.

EDIT or the V1 on amazon is $65 instead of $80. Very tempting. It has good reviews on the web too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086BYYFG5/ref=dp_cerb_1?th=1

2nd edit: those are slightly diferent. For the extra 15 bux the newer one looks better quality. I think it would look very nice in the case I've got.

However... for a $300 total for a 6 core 3rd gen & AIO... could also just go for a Ryzen 7 3rd gen (8 core) and keep the stock cooler for a year or two. Would the 2 extra cores help for gaming? I think that a R5 3600 & the AIO is going to be what I pull the trigger on.

Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
I would pick either:
Ryzen 3600 / B550 / 16GB DDR4-3600 / Radeon RX5500 8GB or GTX1660Ti
or
i5 10500 / Z490 (depends on the budget) / 16GB DDR4-3600 / Radeon RX5500 8GB or GTX1660Ti

In both cases will be 6 cores/12 threads. i5 heats up less (I was quite surprised) but both will perform about the same and will have ~4.2GHz+ clock.
Unless you find it significantly cheaper then I wouldn't buy GF1650 because of a quite big gap between this card and the next step so RX5500 or GTX1660+. In the case of RX5500, I would get only an 8GB version so also everything depends on the price.
I'm not a fan of Corsair LPX RAM as it causes the most problems with compatibility. I would get something from G.Skill, Crucial, maybe HyperX but it can be weirdly expensive in some stores.

Why I added i5 10500 to the list. It's maybe locked but the turbo is up to 4.5GHz, all cores at 4.2GHz. Ryzen 3600 is not overclocking so even though it's unlocked then it doesn't change anything and after overclocking, all cores will run at maybe 4.2-4.3GHz.
The i5 10500 works without problems on such a small cooler as Cryorig C7. It also costs not much more than the i5 10400 which has 200MHz lower clock. For me, the difference was around $10. Ryzen 3600 can be still cheaper but to keep it at optimal temps you will need a more expensive cooler. I recommend coolers designed for 200W TDP+.

If not for you then I thought that the i5 can be an interesting option for others who may check this thread. For sure worth considering, especially if anyone is building a small gaming PC.

Thanks for saving me a huge disappointment!! I really didn't want to keep (get stuck) with the 1600 anyway. I'll spend more money, $160 - $220 for what makes the most sense... How about an R5 3600? Or 3600X? Both have same cache / specs, I'll be doing some mild OC but likely not much. Yeah, the cooler I chose is garbage, but the stock HSF is absolutely trash looking IMO. I had $20 left on a prepaid card so I bought that on impulse. Building a PC for a friend soon that can use the bling factor and won't be OC'd so I'll use it for that when I get an AIO or real HSF.

Yes, 1650 not 1050 :)

The RAM is indeed DDR4 3600 MHz ( CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 )

Was $70 for 2x 8 GB, and I think I'll get another one ordered up unless there is little point in having 32 GB. Heaviest loads I'll be doing will be some video editing and encoding.

The 4 TB will be for my archived TV series seasons, DVD rips & movies, and archived files. If it does 90 MB/sec I'll be happy... I have a WD Blue 500 GB I bought back in 08 that does around 100MB /sec if I recall and I'm pleased with that. (may use that for game installs to leave some room on the NVME)

Let me know what CPU belongs in this $1,000 +/- PC. Mid/Higher end preferred, I did spend $150 or $160 on the mobo so might aswell stick something nice on it. I considered 8 core, but not spending $300 on a chip. I think 6 cores outta be good, but I want fast single / dual thread performance too.

Thank you so much, please let me know what you think of everything else I've chosen... And recommend a CPU so I can order one that'll work tomorrow afternoon.
RE: RAM - 16/32GB is up to you. If you are using close to 16GB, getting more will help, otherwise, nope.

Check the specs on the hdd, but I'd imagine you're OK.

$150 on a mobo (b550/x570/z490) is cheap these days. Your average for a decent one is over $200.

I like woomack's choices on amd and intel... but I know you aren't returning it all to go intel... not worth it. Id say go 3600 or 3600x.

Way to burst my bubble on $150 not being much :rofl: At least I didn't go with a $75 board as I initially thought I may. :shrug:

So... Today the UPS man dropped off a Ryzen 5 3600 and the AIO I linked above, the V2 version. Here is the case, stripped down & fitted with the AIO + included RGB fans. The two, top / rear, green "ring" fans are the cheep ones listed in post #1. RGB fan kit has not come yet, nor anything else... but The RGB fan kit may get returned.

My impressions on the AIO... Gee... Feels like a toy! It pretty much defies everything I knew about water cooling. I'd consider myself an old school, custom water cooler.. and well yeah.. TINY tubes, TINY thin ALUMINUM rad... An MCR220 she aint!!

But 80 bucks is 80 bucks. Don't think I'd enjoy trying to stuff a '77 pontiac heater core in this case along with an aquarium pump... or even an mcp655. It's going to look nice... perform OK, maybe even... good...? I'm happy with it. Very much reminds me of the delphi units the PowerMac G5s were equipped with... the radiator anyways. Used one of those rads, and pumps, in a PC build and it actually did quite well. IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0146.JPG

Loving the performance of this thing. Benchmarks... (with a bunch'o crap open)

Storage: (1 TB NVME WD Black & 4 TB Blue HDD CMR)

CDMarkWDBlack1TB.png CDMarkWDBlue4TB.png

My impressions on the AIO... Gee... Feels like a toy! It pretty much defies everything I knew about water cooling. I'd consider myself an old school, custom water cooler.. and well yeah.. TINY tubes, TINY thin ALUMINUM rad... An MCR220 she aint!!

Could be smaller. This is what I installed recently, Asetek 645LT AIO with 92mm radiator and it handles well mentioned earlier i5-10500 /[email protected] :D

ITX.jpg

Just a little update, I've been running this system 24/7 since early to mid July 2020 and everything has been rock solid! This is an excellent system, and I think that these days you can truly get great performance in the sub $1500 range.

I absolutely love the Ryzen 5 3600. I run it at 4150 - 4450 MHz with no heat issues on my coolermaster aio (clc). The RAM. My coarsair kit would only run at 3150 MHz stable till I did something... I was initially using slots #1 and #3. Changed to #2 and #4 and BOOM! now will do the rated 3600 MHz no problem what-so-ever.

The GPU, great for the value. Runs Far Cry 5 butter smooth at 1080 ultra. I do +130 core and +850 mem for OC. * If YOU are building, go for the 1660 or mayyybe 1660 Ti * (better value)

The WD black 1 TB (PCI-E gen 3) - St00pid fast, st00pid cheap... No brainier at the moment. 3 GB per sec @ $100 per TB? Yes please.

WD Blue 4 TB - No complaints!

EVGA Bronze PSU - No complaints!

Thermaltake H18 Versa - EXCELLENT for the money!

CoolerMaster AIO \ CLC 240mm - I like it, idle temps @ 27 - 29C... normal load below 60C. OC'd to 4.4 GHz stays below TJ MAX. If you're looking for a cooler, I'd say look into an Arctic Cooling unit, GREAT review by GamersNexus on youtube. Go for the 280mm or 260mm. (280 should fit fine in the TT H18)

This system has totally re-inspired the geek inside me. Looking back, can't believe I was on a Core 2 Quad > 10 years old till mid 2020!!!

Last but not least, Google is your FRIEND :) And, OCF is your best friend :salute: :bday: :clap:

:comp:

Back