• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doing my research for a new build - general/gaming rig called "TACHI"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It would probably cover your heat okay if you go with a 65 watt TDP CPU but I would not go there if you pick a 105 watt CPU. The cooler is rated for 140 watts of cooling power but you will find that a 105 watt TDP Ryzen will put you right there or over when under load. In other words, AMD's TDP ratings are to be taken only in a relative to one another sense.

What's your reason for wanting to change from an AIO? Most 240mm AIO's will cool about 200 watts or better.

It would probably cover your heat okay if you go with a 65 watt TDP CPU but I would not go there if you pick a 105 watt CPU. The cooler is rated for 140 watts of cooling power but you will find that a 105 watt TDP Ryzen will put you right there or over when under load. In other words, AMD's TDP ratings are to be taken only in a relative to one another sense.

What's your reason for wanting to change from an AIO? Most 240mm AIO's will cool about 200 watts or better.

I see...

I leave my computer on 24/7/365. I restart maybe once a week. I do usual office tasks + browsing like 8-10 hours a day. Gaming maybe 2 hours a day. More gaming on weekends.

Given that use, would you recommend a really good air cooler? Or an AIO liquid cooler?

My chief concern with AIO liquid coolers is longevity. I've seen a lot of feedback of AIO's gumming up after 6-9 months.

Last edited:
Most of the feedback I have seen about AIO cooler longevity is about 5 years. Since I have tended to upgrade often I have not used one for more than about 1 year so I can't say from personal experience.

But good air is not a bad choice if not overclocking. What CPU have you settled on? That's an important question. A top end air cooler should be fine for any 6 or 8 core Ryzen at stock. top end air is very close in cooling power to a 240 AIO.

This one is spendy but is considered by many to be the best air cooler, even though not the biggest and heaviest: https://www.amazon.com/NOCTUA-NH-U1...nics&sprefix=Noctua+nh,electronics,212&sr=1-5

The thing I like best about an AIO is it opens up the case interior and makes things easy to get to and work on. Reduces clutter. High end air coolers are huge and dominate the interior space.

Most of the feedback I have seen about AIO cooler longevity is about 5 years. Since I have tended to upgrade often I have not used one for more than about 1 year so I can't say from personal experience.

But good air is not a bad choice if not overclocking. What CPU have you settled on? That's an important question. A top end air cooler should be fine for any 6 or 8 core Ryzen at stock. top end air is very close in cooling power to a 240 AIO.

This one is spendy but is considered by many to be the best air cooler, even though not the biggest and heaviest: https://www.amazon.com/NOCTUA-NH-U1...nics&sprefix=Noctua+nh,electronics,212&sr=1-5

The thing I like best about an AIO is it opens up the case interior and makes things easy to get to and work on. Reduces clutter. High end air coolers are huge and dominate the interior space.

I've purchased a Ryzen 5 3600 for the CPU.

I did some more research...looks like my original choice - the NZXT Kraken X53 240mm is pretty good. And it has a 6 year warranty.

I've looked at those Noctua's - so BROWN! lol

The first thing that attracted me to AIO's was how trim they were inside the case. Maybe I'll give the Kraken a try.

The Lian Li LANCOOL II case popped up again on Amazon last night - and I snagged it!

Plus, I got the vertical GPU mount and RGB strip from Micro Center.

Sounds like the pieces are falling into place.

Yup!

I just need the cooler, motherboard, and GPU.

I'm purposefully waiting on motherboard and GPU because of new releases slated for the next few months. I want to see what pops up and how the prices are effected. Still eyeballing a 570 board and an RTX 2070 super for GPU.

And I'm not that concerned with cooler inventories.

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd look at the B550 motherboards. They are out for sale now, though many of them in the lower price ranges are out of stock. But you can still back order.

I'm sure the one you linked would be fine but I might suggest this: https://www.newegg.com/msi-mag-b550-tomahawk/p/N82E16813144326?&quicklink=true

I think MSI has done the best with bios tweaks for memory compatibility with Ryzens. Actually, with a Ryzen 5 3600, VRM strength is not even an issue. That CPU will not overtax any of the VRM modules on any motherboards. The most important thing for you to look for in a motherboard would be the feature set. How many and what kind of USB ports, how many m.2 connectors, how many fan header connectors, etc. Look for one that has the feature set you want for the best value.

Ha!

Snagged one of those newfangled 550 mobos!

Newegg just shipped me a GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC. :clap:

I hope the bios on that board is well-written. In my experience with Gigabyte motherboards, their hardware is stout but their bioses are often half-baked.

I hope the bios on that board is well-written. In my experience with Gigabyte motherboards, their hardware is stout but their bioses are often half-baked.

I do also!

I don't usually like to buy a new Gen that has no history of user reviews. But I'm hoping they took experience from both the 450 and 570 lines and evolved the improvements into the 550's.

I considered what you said above, and the built in Wifi was a deal maker for me.

Don't be surprised if there are some glitches with the board being the initial release of the chipset. This is common for all manufacturers when turning out new motherboard products. There likely will be a flurry of bios updates from all the manufacturers trying to fix various bugs during the first several months after release. Most of the glitches are minor annoyances and not deal breakers, however.

Don't be surprised if there are some glitches with the board being the initial release of the chipset. This is common for all manufacturers when turning out new motherboard products. There likely will be a flurry of bios updates from all the manufacturers trying to fix various bugs during the first several months after release. Most of the glitches are minor annoyances and not deal breakers, however.

I see...

Bright side! - I will not be building my system till end of December. So maybe by then there will be a rock-solid Bios version to use.

What do ya'll think about this graphics card:

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC 8G Graphics Card
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WN6WB4G/ref=dp_cerb_2

Some Youtubers were able to manually overclock it to 2056mhz. (Which resulted in performance similar to 2080 Super...apparently)

I have a good sized Amazon credit, so I could get it for a SONG.

Again, this would be matching up with:

Ryzen 5 3600
GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO Mobo
32 gig of DDR4 RAM at 3600mhz

Last edited:
That's a great card if you can afford it. You had earlier asked about mid range cards. the 2070 super is more of a high end card. It would likely make your Ryzen 3600 CPU the bottleneck in some games.

Back