• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are vaccums safe vs. dust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

/\\/3|2o

Im cleaning my comp now, i was just wondering if i could use a regular stand up vaccum with the brush at the end of the hose attachment. I heard it might cause some static electricity but then again that might have been with the hand held vaccums.

Thanks.

i would NEVER touch the brush to any part of the computer. I heard something about a static build up in the air caused by a vaccume somehow so i would not use one but whatever you do dont actually toouch anything with the bristles. I am pretty sure there is a reason everone uses canned air and not a vaccume, and its not cost or power.

i would advise against it. vacuums are *huge* sources of static electricity. using one on your computer would be a not-so-wise decision.

canned compressed air is ridiculously expensive though, and thats why i have a small air compressor in my shop, mainly used to just blow out cases - make sure the system is off when/if you use a compressor however, sometimes water vapor can buildup inside the tank, and squirt out onto your computer.

My dad used a brush attachment and a vac to clean his pc out, when I saw him doing that I was thought to myself "what the heck are you doing your gonna kill it!!" But it didnt do anything, but I would advise against it and use the suggestions above.

I use a small canister vacuum to clear my boxes from time to time, never got any problem. I don't touch any parts inside the boxes, just let vacuum suck up all the dust.
Does anybody have bad experience of using vacuum and get their rigs killed?
The reason of using canned compress air in office is for conveniece, IMO. You don't want every office worker equipped with a loud vacuum cleaner.

I feel that a vacuum is not the best way to clean out a computer.

My former employers were incredibly anal about ESD and actually went out and plunked down $10,000 on a certified ESD safe vacum cleaner.

Wll i did a search on the forums on "dust vaccum" and found that some people use them with no problem. I knew it wasnt that good of an idea but i figured since other people were doing it, it would be okay. Well I ended up finding an empty can of air (about 3 seconds of spraying left) and did a quick burst on my mobo. Thats really what I wanted the vaccum for. I used the vaccum for my case though, with everything out of it. Then I used these electricly discharged damp cloths to wipe down my cd roms and HDs.

Is there any way to get that dust thats caked on the fan blades? Man that stuff is really stuck on there.

For the fan blade dust, my best experience has come from blasting it with canned air.

I use a vacuum also with no problems so far. I'm real careful not to bang things around so basically I'm hovering over the parts with the plastic attachment.

man all of the sudden a bunch of people come out saying they use vaccums. Does anyone use the brush attachment? What kinds of vaccums do you use, the hand held or the stand up ones?

I wonder if vaccums are as dangerous as people think they are...

I use the plastic attachment thing that makes the hole smaller. My vacuum is an upright hoover, and no I don't use the brush attachment because I just don't like anything touching my PC parts, unless it's my fingers.

I have a "Micro Vacuum Attachment Kit" than I use on an OLD (as in it hasn't been used in the past 5 years and is about 30years old old) canister vacuum. Basically the kit lets me use smaller brushes.

Here's a pic:

kit.txt

Zerileous said:
For the fan blade dust, my best experience has come from blasting it with canned air.

I've had good results just rinsing the whole fan off in the sink and leaving it standing for 24 hours to dry. They're brushless DC motors, so immersion in water shouldn't harm them. If taking them out of the case is too difficult (or for ones hardwired to a PSU, etc.), canned air usually works well. I've heard that you should "brace" the fan so that it doesn't spin while you're spraying it to avoid damage (although I find damage unlikely -- the fans spin at 5-6KRPM while running).

I've never heard of someone frying a computer with a vacuum cleaner/handheld dustbuster-type thing. I assume one with a brush on the end would be better, since it would help pick up dirt and dust that's wedged itself into the crevices of circuit boards.

All the info I found suggests that the static comes from the spinning brush making contact with the carpet and/or brush attachments. There is anti-static spray you could use on the brush attachment (nobody claims it works, just that they do it) or use a grounded rubber attachment. If the your vacuum does not have a spinning brush, or it is not in contact with the carpet, and you don't use the brush attachment there shouldn't be any problem as far as I can see. Others seem to use it fine. Me, I'll stick with canned air (there's a thread in here about homemade canned air)

Other cheap alternatives:

Grounded pump vacuum
Computer vac and static detector
Home made canned air (from the forum)

I'm surprised no ones mentioned the urban legend of sucking jumpers off with a vacuum. Oh wait a minute, do PC's have jumpers anymore? It's been awhile for me! I use canned air. I get it for free so the price is right.

Yeah I figured why the hell cant I use a vaccum? Its all plastic and im sure that the brush isnt a bunch of metal wires.

My jumpers are pretty tightly on there so I dont have to worry aobut that. Wait.. I dont have any jumpers...

I use canned air. I get it for free so the price is right.

Ah so your russian? hehe jk

Back