• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much, and how to apply thermal paste?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZightZar

ok, well on my proccessor, i put a drop of thermal compound (some $9.99 compusa 99.9% silver compound crap [they ran outta as3, and i had to get something]) about the size half a pencil eraser about 3-4 mm thick on the silver part of the proc... then i wrapped my finger in seram wrap (dunno how u spell it lol, but its the clear plastic wrap you put over bowls of food and crap) and spead the paste in a circular motion....

i have no clue if i did it correctly, or if i put enough or not enough, so can someone lead me in the right direction?? btw, i only have so much paste on the silver part of the proccessor (wtf is the parts name lol?? driving my crazy) to where you cant see what the tiny letters printed onto it say (said alot of numbers and stuff like 1.8a and other stuff...). thx in advanced.

oh, and i also put another likewize size drop of thermal paste onto my heatsink (a thermaltake spark7 xaser edition)... dunno if i was suppossed to do that either, but i did anyways...

No! Please DONT tell me You put thermal compound on the HEATSINK!! JK :p :p

You did good it looks, you did not put too much nor too little. Usually I put an amount of 1 1/2 grain of rice of thermal compound in the middle of th IHS and set my heatsink on top and wiggle it gently and then set it in place.

ok, well, is it safe/wise to remove that little metal square and put the paste on the actual 'core'? i wont break anything if i try to take it off will i? whats the best way to take it off?

and i didn't wipe off any of the paste off of the heatsink... is that bad? thx for bearing with my noobishness... all gotta start somewhere huh??

ZightZar said:
ok, well, is it safe/wise to remove that little metal square and put the paste on the actual 'core'? i wont break anything if i try to take it off will i? whats the best way to take it off?

and i didn't wipe off any of the paste off of the heatsink... is that bad? thx for bearing with my noobishness... all gotta start somewhere huh??

Heat spreader removal is advanced hard core modding but yes it's been done . Do a search there are several guides on the proceedure.

We all gotta start somewhere...note my joined date.;)

lol, found this board back when i had a dell... made one post, left, remembered i had an account here and came back almost 2 years later when i actually have a rig that i can do stuff with :)

but for me, removing the "heat spreader" as you called it would be a bad idea considering my noobishness?

on a side note, i really like that word... 'noobishness' i think i just made up a new word... <insert evil laugh and pointy pinky finger here> ah... another l8 nite <_> whoa...

Back