• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has NE1 else had problems with Postal2 STP and ATI cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pntgrd

I am new to ATI and I have a 9800Pro runnig the latest Omega's. I keep having problems running the latest Postal2. I keep getting booted back to the desktop with a GPF error. I have tried all kinds of different settings in the driver and the game but nothing helps. The boot can be anywhere from 2 minutes to 20 minutes. I thought I had it cured when I swithched to OpenGL but it happened again last night. I have no problems running anything else. Card is not o/c'd, running DX9.b. I am in the last levels of Friday and will put up with it if I have to, but it is irritating. I have been able to find no answer on the game company site, so I come to the experts

Well, I got around the problem. I tried what RWS's website said and disabled my antivirus and reinstalled the game. All drivers are up-to-date. Used the ingame Performance Wizard to get the settings right. Started the game and played just over 20 minutes. You guessed it, crashed again. Then I cured it. I installed the game on my Video machine that has a TI4600. Played for over 1 1/2 hours without a hiccup. I guess I will finish Postal2 there. I hope this is not a sign of things to expect from my forray into ATI.

OK, this is what I tried. I uninstalled the Omega 3.10's and went back to the ATI 3.9's. Played for awhile and you guessed it, crash after about 15 minutes. I remember reading on the RWS website to try turning OFF AA and AF if it is turned on. Since I had both set to Application Preference and didn't see a way to turn them off, I set the AA to 4x and the AF to 8x. I then went back to the game and finished it without a crash, about 20+ minutes. Why did that seem to FIX my problem? I have fought the crashes for the entire game and never thought forcing the options HIGHER would cure the crashes. Go figure.

This is driving me INSANE

I thought I had it fixed but I did not. Today I have tried every ATI and Omega driver from 3.7 up. I even tried the XP version once. I have used Driver Cleaned in Safe-mode between each driver install. I have tried EVERY driver setting from one end to the other. I have uninstalled the game twice, reinstalled with Firewall and A/V disabled. I have changed the APG Aperature settings. turned Fast writes on and off. Tried running in OpenGL. Updated M/B drivers, Raid driver, Intell AA ide driver. All to no avail, I cannot get this to run on my ATI card. It runs just fine on my other machine which is basically idenetical except it has a TI4600 and it runs great there. The only thing I can think of is that the ATI box has the latest Soundblaster drivers while the Nvidia machine is just using what XP installed. But I don't see why that would make a difference. WTF am I missing.

Radeon 9700 Pro and no problems here. Cats 3.9 btw

9600XT AND 9800PRO no probs with postal.

I know it is just something in MY config, some combination that is causing the crashes. I guess I am either going to have to delete it from my ATI box or do the "ultimate" and drop an F-Bomb on the box and start all over adding things until I find the problem. I don't think it is the card itself as MOD and MP2 both run flawlessly. Even if heat was the problem it should show up in those 2 also. I was hoping somebody else had had the problem and could give my an idea of what else I could look for.

UPDATE, problem has been solved (I hope) by a format and reinstall of XP. Played for over an hour trying to find my way out of Tora Bora without a problem with settings set to Max Quality with lates Omega's. I thought I was good wenough to go from Nvidia to ATI without doing it but maybe not. I was sure I had left nothing Nvidia behind, but apparently not. I learned my lesson.

Back