• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing memory types

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CheekyChava

Ive got a corsair chip in at the mo (see signature).
Would it be ok to add a stick of PC2700 256mb kingston if i lowered my timings first?

Paul

yes it would be perfectly fine for you to do that as long as you motherboard is capable of taking those two types of memory ...having just read your sig your fine although i would benchmark before and after the new slot is installed as you might not get as much benifit from it, sounds odd but sometimes it can slow things down

Your Corsair is Revision 1.1? or Rev. 1.2?

Your memory performance will be hampered by adding a slower-speed stick. If your Corsair is indeed running DDR400+ with 2-2-2 timings, I wouldn't recommend adding slower PC2700 to the mix. You most likely would be forced to lower memory speed significantly, and maybe loosen timings.

For a stop-gap to gain more memory it's fine. If your motherboard supports it, then it should run in dual-channel (if not, then it won't). Your overall computer experience will probably be better with 2x256MB then it would with a single stick of 256MB. But it won't be in it's best spot.

If you could splurge and purchase Corsair PC3500C2 - which comes with Winbond BH-5 chips (if you can find it) - or Kingston HyperX PC3000 (which hopefully comes with BH-5 chips) or Kingston HyperX PC3200 (Non-A; w/o an "A" in the product code - ie. KHX3200/256, NOT KHX3200A/256) it would allow for you to keep the FSB/timings you run now while giving you 512MB of total memory.

Last edited:
Back