• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

smoked my 9500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dimicchh

Registered
i tried to flash my 9500 and it must have gone wrong. now i only have huge pixels in various colors on my screen.
can this be repaired?
can i take the card back or ist the guarantie extinceted?

you have invalidated your warranty, So basicly you killed it. You might want to try sending ATI or the manufacture of your card an e-mail explaining what you did and if it can be repaired.

They might repair it for you.

But i wouldn't hold out as you did something that your card wasn't intended to do.

Did you save the old bios first? If not, your pretty much screwed. If so, you have a good chance of saving it. Just put another PCI video card in and run teh flash utility again, or do it by memory. I had a few bad flashes, but I memorised the process so I could do it with my eyes closed.

look online for 9500 BIOS, im sure you're not the only one who did this. You shoulda tried the Omega Drivers first before you flahsed it.

FarEast said:
you have invalidated your warranty, So basicly you killed it. You might want to try sending ATI or the manufacture of your card an e-mail explaining what you did and if it can be repaired.

They might repair it for you.

But i wouldn't hold out as you did something that your card wasn't intended to do.

This is not correct at all, the card can be saved by simply reflashing the old bios by using the info TheFURY has mentioned. If you have a cheap $5 PCI card it always makes the job easier when flashing goes wrong. but stating the card is killed is not good advise. Although the advise about the warranty is correct ;)

sorry could be my bad nglish but i thought he had fried it by flashing the bios (smoked my 9500) If it's just a flash that went wrong then yes i am wrong.

Yuriman said:
Did you save the old bios first? If not, your pretty much screwed. If so, you have a good chance of saving it. Just put another PCI video card in and run teh flash utility again, or do it by memory. I had a few bad flashes, but I memorised the process so I could do it with my eyes closed.

what good will that do? i mean whats the thought behind that? and what do you you mean to run the flash again by memory? what if i put the card in another pc? will that get the job done?

btw: thx for the good advice @all

dimicchh said:

what good will that do? i mean whats the thought behind that? and what do you you mean to run the flash again by memory? what if i put the card in another pc? will that get the job done?

btw: thx for the good advice @all

Basically the BIOS on the card is broken. You need to use the utility to flash the proper BIOS back onto the card. However, the card does not display properly. If you put a PCI video card in and hook the monitor up to that, you can boot into DOS, and run the flash utility to flash the BIOS on the 9500, which you should have in the AGP slot.

A bit like jump starting a car... heh

Back