• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I flash without a floppy drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you have a FAT partition, you could place the BIOS update files on it, then boot from a Win98 CD, navigate to your FAT drive and run it from there.

Is it also possible to set a USB thumb drive to FDD mode and then have it bootable? I don't know if that would be detected since its USB or not, and if so it would be a nice convenient way for me to ditch the floppy.

/threadjack, sorry ;)

As Mateo said, if the Bios of your mobo permits the boot from USB, You can format the pen drive with system option, place the file on it, boot in dos mode and flash.

Byex and grettings to all uses of this forum :)

Last edited:
JAN THE LAST said:
As Mateo said, if the Bios of your mobo permits the boot from USB, You can format the pen drive with system option, place the file on it, boot in dos mode and flash.

Byex and grettings to all uses of this forum :)

I didn't know, I was just asking. But it works, so w00r :)

BTW, WELCOME

i don't think it does so i guees i'll just shuffle the floppy from my MP rig and put it in the opteron rig till i need it for the MP again. PITA with the casde i have for the MP rig but oh well.

i really wish more mobo manufacturers would push for bootable usb in the bios. that would be fantastic to have. if that were a very common thing, i would probably remove all of my floppies from any future systems and just keep a single floppy drive around in case i really needed one...

now only if microsoft will create an os installer that will do a bit of searching for drivers for sata, scsi, and raid drivers on a cd... :)

*edit: shouldn't this thread be in the motherboard section, not smp?*

Back