• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just installed "NorthPole" (Few ?'s)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ayoung

Well guys I have a few questions.

What will Mosfet and PLL sinks do for me? I know they get hot, but at what point will they help me, and what will they help me do?

I have a older passive Zalman NB cooler that I also just put on my SB, hope that helps. (With what, im not really sure, maybe you could clear it up for me)

Also I poped on the NB cooler (the set was like 34 bucks) and it works damn good!

I wish I could get some pics... But i dont have a digi cam... (Not like I dont work at BB or anything:rolleyes: )

Adam:D :D

northbridge is pretty self explainatory
southbridge is for audio, and incresingly for general stability
mosfets help stabilize vcore when high
dunno what pll is

PLL is what determines and delegates your FSB. But I was wondering if they really get that hot and need to be cooled.

I know what everything does.

But thanks man!

Adam

crimedog said:
no prob...
what i'd do if i was you would be to put your finger on it
if it gets hot... can't hurt having a sink on it!

What's interesting is when I felt my Mosfets with my bare finger they didn't seem excessivly tepid, but when I placed BGA ramsinks on them and felt the ramsinks once attached they were much more noticably hot to the touch.

Hmmm... it could be that the metal of the heatsink was transferring the heat to your finger much faster than the plastic casing, as the thermal conductivity is much greater. When you touch the MOSFET case with your finger you set up a large temperature gradient in the case so you don't feel anything, but in the metal the gradient is much less steep so it feels hot :cool:

Anyways - I don't know why you'd want to cool your PLL chip o_O it only provides the clock frequency of the FSB/AGP.

Because that was the first thing I just touched. OUCH! That thing was friggin HOT! Then on to the mosfets, and wow, that stuff get REALLLY hot.

Adam

If everything is getting hot I would think you are leaking, time for a new mobo could be coming

Back