• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

800 FSB Xeon's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

Anyone know if or when they are going to become available?

I'm interested in building a 25 WU+/day SETI cruncher.

They will be the Nocoma cores - Xeon versions of the Prescotts. Available a little after the Prescotts are released.

I think the core name is "Nocona". Like Prescott they should have 1MB L2 cache.

bravestennis said:
hope your saving your pennies....

It won't be that expensive. It's a lot cheaper than buying two complete 2.4C systems.

1 monitor, 1 hard drive, 1 video card, 1 PSU, already have the RAM, etc etc.

I'll just take the best parts from my AMD systems, so all I'll need is a PSU, 2 CPU's and a mobo :) (maybe two waterblocks depending on how much OC potential they will have)

EDIT:
(Newegg prices)
Antec 550Watt = $120
2 Xeon 2.66's = $276 X 2 = $552
Asus PC-DL Deluxe = $209

That comes out to $881

If I decide to go with a higher end mobo, it'll run me about $1000.

Last edited:
AudiMan said:

It won't be that expensive. It's a lot cheaper than buying two complete 2.4C systems.

1 monitor, 1 hard drive, 1 video card, 1 PSU, already have the RAM, etc etc.

I'll just take the best parts from my AMD systems, so all I'll need is a PSU, 2 CPU's and a mobo :) (maybe two waterblocks depending on how much OC potential they will have)

EDIT:
(Newegg prices)
Antec 550Watt = $120
2 Xeon 2.66's = $276 X 2 = $552
Asus PC-DL Deluxe = $209

That comes out to $881

If I decide to go with a higher end mobo, it'll run me about $1000.
I have 2 2.4 Xeon's in that mobo, I love it. ONly problem is no 66Mhz PCI slot but it does OC nicely. I would also go for the 550W Xeon fortron PSU over the Antec.

What are you overclocked to? Unfortunately there are no VCore adjustments.

Post some specs of that system if you could, thanks.

AudiMan said:
What are you overclocked to? Unfortunately there are no VCore adjustments.

Post some specs of that system if you could, thanks.
True, but Intels seem to OC quite nicely with NO vcore increase. This box is a server box I just built for a client. I had it running at 2970 Mhz (18 x 165). I think 165 FSB is the highest I will go, these are 2.4 533 FSB CPU's. Specs:

2.4 Xeons (Stock HSF's)
Asus PC-DL Deluxe
1 GB (2 x 512) Kingston value 2700
4x 37GB Raptors (Raid 5) Promise SX4
Fortron 550W Xeon PSU (Excellent PSU)
Sony DDS3 SCSI 24GB Tape Drive
Supermicro SATA Hot Swap Case (Insane!)
DVD-R/+R CD-RW drive
Windows 2003

Now this machine is being used as a proper server, so it will not run overclocked at all. It has been running 4 instances of FAH on it though at 2970Mhz for about a week now with no issue.

Theoretically speaking, considering the multipliers are unlocked (only the lower ones) do you think it would be a good idea to get 2.66 GHz ones for a few bucks more, then lower the multi so I have a better chance for a higher FSB? Or is like like the regular P4 HT's where the 2.6's are the worst overclockers out of the bunch (on average). I guess it's kinda hard to tell since not very many people are buying Xeons to crunch/fold/overclock.

I will be waiting for the 800FSB versions to come out, so we'll see what happens with those.

no lock on my 3.06 Xeon - 12 - 23x possible - who needs an 800FSB Xeon - you need an 800FSB board thats the problem - running mines 162x21 for 3.4ghz, nice SETI cruncher, but will be better when I either add the 2nd Xeon or find an 800FSB board/BIOS...

You have an ES - so that's why it's completely unlocked.

Standard Xeons are unlocked in the lower multipliers so if you're running a blade server and they start overheating you can just drop the multiplier to cool them off.

Iwill DH800 is supposed to be the board to watch for - Google will turn up some pics of samples (i875 chipset).

I thought they were all unlocked downwards, the newer ones anyway, its unlocked down from its standard multi of 23x to 12x which is the lowest multi the board supports, I stand to be corrected though if anyone else has a 3.0C D1 that is locked.
BTW not all ES are unlocked - I have had a few which are locked.
My ES actually looks like a retail chip with the stuff scored out and Intel Confidential printed on underneath the scores.
Been chasing the Iwill DH800 but you wont get one til the XEON 800FSB comes out IMO, as its not std 875 but the newer server version I think its called Canterwood-S. Think the same goes for an 800FSB bios for the PC-DL, if it ever comes.
The Iwill DPI533 can run at 800FSB can it not, but its much dearer than the PC-DL?

Back