• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who has dual moniters and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I do because I love the extra space and multitask like crazy. If I had the means, I'd probably have 3 or 4 monitors in fact.

i got one cause i had an extra monitor.. 2 extra actually... but I got a cheap pci card (radeon 9000) so I decided to get it... i think it's the coolness factor... not really useful

I play online games alot, am in a clan etc. Its often nice to have MIRC on your second monitor so you can keep track of whats going on whilst you blast people :)

also keep winamp etc on second monitor whilst in game. Another use is when making websites or something, I have PSP on one screen then the page itself on the other.

im sure most people do things on their pc that has 2+ main applications open, its just nice to not have to be swapping between them when you want to do something on either. Also im sure you will be occupied for hours just sliding a window between the two monitors :)

aka665 said:
i got one cause i had an extra monitor.. 2 extra actually... but I got a cheap pci card (radeon 9000) so I decided to get it... i think it's the coolness factor... not really useful

For me it is usefull because I watch my downloads on the secondary (PCI) monitor while I play Call of Duty on the main monitor (the AGP (8x))

Yeah, it is very useful. I can have all my 'usual' programs open on the side monitor (outlook, buddy list/IM windows, media player, task manager, mbm, etc...) and be working on the main window.

Or its nice to work on one and have the other open to look up reference information on the net.

yeah, i can see it being useful if you're working on a paper or something and have a ton of references or whatever... i mean.. more space to work with is always better

thx you guys have sold me on the idea now I just need to
OC my bankacount to get more money

I basically keep what im doing on my main monitor (games, internet, actual work, ect), and fill my secondary with chat windows, download windows, system monitoring program, ect. Its also useful just for the extra space if your working with files in several window at once.

Here's a good answer, because I can.

Seriously tho, I keep the MBM dash, and Netstat live on the second monitor so I can check up on what my pc is doing at any moment, even in a game or something.

"Because I can..." Damn Americans... no wait, make that damn Canadiens. lol

Actually, I have a 20" Cinema Display and a 17" Panasonic CRT as a tool bar, image comparison monitor at work. Comes in handle. I'll have to get myself another 17-18" LCD at home also. You just can't live w/o 2 when you're working on web design.

i do for many reasons... 1. i cant c well and one is usually dedicated to AIM with enlarged text. 2. i do lots of video editing, one monitor will have my tools and preview screens while the other has the timelines and such. 3. Photoshop CS. 4. Audio editing is easier. 5. The gaming while seeing whats going on on AIM. 6. Watch TV on the master, do whatever on the slave. i currently have 2 15''s, but ive been blessed and getting dual 17s

i used to do dual monitors, but here's the reason i stopped: XP's REmote Desktop, really makes things funky with dualmons, and then u have to reset eveyrhitng every time, just not worht the hassle. however, if you don't use Remote Desktop, dualmons is COOL (especially if you ahve a girl stretched out over 2 monitors) ;D

shadymg said:
(especially if you ahve a girl stretched out over 2 monitors) ;D

haha, my desktop is stretched over two also... but its a picture (or composit picture i guess) of the earth from space at night. There is a truely amazing ammount of light put out.

Here, i uploaded it incase anyone wants it, or wants to see it. The resolution isnt perfect, but its pretty good for 2 monitors.

http://upload.richfool.com/uploaded/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg

THat's a nice one, saved it for later use. Right now I have one girl on each monitor :p

oh, and running dual 19's btw.

Back