• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Got My A64 Running

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saints 26

I have to say I'm impressed this is the first upgrade I've made and actually have seen a great noticeable difference. I went from an 2700 xp oc to 2.41 with the asus a78nx del. to a64 3200 and the gigabyte k8n pro. At default settings I get 21000 from 18200 in 3dmark 2001 se. But benchmarks are not the real story playing the games is. I'm a huge sof 2 player and this sounds weird but my rig is almost too fast(HEHE). My upgrade costs 450.00 not bad. Im an upgrade pig I change hardware every 6 months religously and this is the most satisfying to date!

you sound just like me :D upgrade all the time :eek:

agreed. this was a shocking upgrade from a 2100+ @ 2540mhz. not even in the same ballpark. i had several p4 rigs in between but i can still remember how sluggish the XP chip was.

default settings is 21,000???? wowzers. what card are you running? i had to oc quite a bit just to get to 22,294.

:mad: Watch the thing don't singe your carpet dude!
That sounds like one hefty beasty.. I'd love to know what your overclock is gonna be on it :).

-DaMouse

I too just joined the A64 club a few days ago...and have been nothing short of amazed...haven't given 3dmark2k1 a real run since the upgrade, just messin' with it, scores we're really low, but I did another format/reinstall to fix my 80gb reading as the entire raid partition it was a part of before.. (oops, hehe).

I've never personally owned a p4 system...but being a cable internet technician (in the field..), I play with different computers often, and I know I've played with p4 3.2ghz systems before, put together by "enthusiasts", may or may not have been oc'd, but, this thing at just 2.2ghz is blazing, and like mentioned, benchmarks, seti, all that, isn't showing what I'm feeling while using it.. :)

Maxvla said:

agreed. this was a shocking upgrade from a 2100+ @ 2540mhz. not even in the same ballpark. i had several p4 rigs in between but i can still remember how sluggish the XP chip was.

default settings is 21,000???? wowzers. what card are you running? i had to oc quite a bit just to get to 22,294.

It's probably due to the fact his 3200+ has double L2 cache than your 3000+ plus a little more in MHZ at stock.

I am waiting on higher clocked ones and socket 939 motherboard in order to blow you all away once again. :p Possibly I'll get a Mach to play with.

#18 said:

It's probably due to the fact his 3200+ has double L2 cache than your 3000+ plus a little more in MHZ at stock.

I am waiting on higher clocked ones and socket 939 motherboard in order to blow you all away once again. :p Possibly I'll get a Mach to play with.
cache on these chips makes very little difference. definately not 2,000 points difference. my stock score with 9800pro (stock clocks) was 19,135.

Mine is an engineering sample with only 256k of cache, but it feels like it is alot easier to blow out the cache and make it perform like a dog than it is on a 256k Athlon. Might be because I'm running 64-bit and it takes more cache space.

Something to think about though. Good thing AMD is stepping up and putting ALOT more cache on the things.

3007_ath.JPG

2672s.GIF

Last edited:
There should be a A64 club/overclocking thread for people to post their experienced on their A64. I'm not as rich as some people here and if I get lucky I make a legitimate upgrade every 2 years. :p Sweet score btw.

Maxvla said:

CPU-Z 1.21 is out, maybe you can get it to show your voltage this time.

Damn you lucky SOBs. I can't believe we have to spend $3K on a Dell just because it comes w/ the 3 year warranty. I hate you guys, I hate you all. lol.

But seriously, that's for the company. I'm just waiting for socket 939, DDR-II, and PCI-X (on PC) to appear before dropping the dough on a new system.

BTW you lucky A64 people, what's your SuperPi time?

I wan t to let the chip get some intensive use before I over clock it. I burned my baton 3000 up by pushing too much too early. I run a built by ati 9800 pro oc at 411 351 and a gig of corsair pc 3200 xms llow latency. I really am impressed with the gigabyte k8n pro board especially the gigabit lan. I'll oc soon and post reports

I have little knowledge on these new chips. Some questions have to be answered soon or later.

Well here they are

Are these Athlon 64 chips' multiplier locked or unlocked?

What's the stock multiplier and FSB of these chips? And your overclocked ones?

Still x 2 data rate?

Dual channel DDR set up for memory?

Saints 26 said:
I wan t to let the chip get some intensive use before I over clock it. I burned my baton 3000 up by pushing too much too early. I run a built by ati 9800 pro oc at 411 351 and a gig of corsair pc 3200 xms llow latency. I really am impressed with the gigabyte k8n pro board especially the gigabit lan. I'll oc soon and post reports
you score 21k stock cpu and those clocks on the 9800pro???

how? :(

what ram are you using and what timings?

what is your score stock cpu and stock video? mine is 19,135 with ram at 237mhz cas 2.5 3 3 8. i'm just trying to figure out why your system seems much faster than mine.

#18 said:
I have little knowledge on these new chips. Some questions have to be answered soon or later.

Well here they are

Are these Athlon 64 chips' multiplier locked or unlocked?

What's the stock multiplier and FSB of these chips? And your overclocked ones?

Still x 2 data rate?

Dual channel DDR set up for memory?
A64 FX are unlocked
A64 non-fx are unlocked under the stock multiplier.. meaning A64 3200+ is open from 4x-10x (10x being stock).

3000, 3200 are 10x 2.0ghz
3400 is 11x 2.2ghz
3700 is presumed to be 11.5 or 12x 2.3-2.4ghz
FX51 is 11x 2.2ghz

My A64 3000+ is at 10x237mhz

x2 data rate.. i believe so. with the memory controller on-die its much quicker and faster bandwidth scores. sandra scores for me at ~235mhz cas 2.5 3 3 8 are 3600mb/s

at present the only dual ddr chip is the FX51 and opterons. 939 chips will be dual channel. 754 will remain single channel. its not that much of a loss. a few % if that. the benefit of dual channel is the massive bandwidth but then the latency goes way up. single channel doesn't have the bigtime bandwidth but the latency is next to nothing compared to intel and amd dual channel setups. i'm not sure single channel is really a handicap at the moment.

wow cool thanks. :)

From your sig I see you are using PC3200. With 235FSB, are you using 1:1? If so that's some really impressive PC3200.

Actually I still have question lol.

I thought I saw these chips were listed as 1600MHZ bus?? Maybe I was wrong. If the FSB is 200, how does it work with only x 2 data rate? A little confused here.

#18 said:
wow cool thanks. :)

From your sig I see you are using PC3200. With 235FSB, are you using 1:1? If so that's some really impressive PC3200.

its no regular pc3200 though ;) this is basically the same thing as Mushkin Black Level 2 with BH5 chips. its at 237mhz cas 2.5 3 2 5.

Actually I still have question lol.

I thought I saw these chips were listed as 1600MHZ bus?? Maybe I was wrong. If the FSB is 200, how does it work with only x 2 data rate? A little confused here.
you aren't the only one thats confused! there are at least two threads here where we hashed it out trying to figure out all the buses on the board but in the end we still can't figure it out. AMD has managed to really confuse us this time. i can't really answer your question.

Back