• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Washer Placement Sp-94 Pic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
This drawing shows the washer placement of the larger of the 2 plastic washers.THE FANMAN:cool:

February-1,-2004_.gif

So I hear there's alot of people having trouble mounting this heatsink.

When I got mine, it didn't come with a manual of any kind and the instructions on thier webpage was raelly bad.
Now when looked the other day, they had a nice guide with COLOR pictures hehe

This is that.The above drawing is the original install instructions sheet.Thats all we had when the SP-94 first came out.You had to get it from the Thermalright website.I printed it out for close study,before I received shipment of my HS.Common sense says put plastic washers on both sides of (mobo) PCB.Here is the complete sheet.THE FANMAN:cool:

February-1,-2004.gif

yay, someone makes a thread on how to install this heatsink... figures it was archilochus :p

I have a email sent to JIM at Thermalright, including links to these 2 threads on this issue.The original SP-94 install instrutions were only obtainable from thier website.The drawing above is my original install sheet, from SEPT. 03 : that I printed from the site. THE FANMAN:cool:

I was wondering how much I need to compress the springs. I left just a tiny gap between the coil so that only the springs were compressing the HS, but the Thermalright website says to tighten them all the way down. Isn't there a risk of crushing the core?

Edit: Also, do I tighten the standoff screws so the X-plate "legs" *touch* the back of the mobo. That seems like an awful lot of pressure on the PCB.

thanks

I tightened the standoffs in a X pattern alternating diagonaly,turning each a little at a time till all the way tight.Snug tight.Yes,it bows the X plate.The screws with the springs need to be tighted all the way down,snuggly also.Some alternating pattern,turning each screw a little bit at a time.Just go slow, and evenly.THE FANMAN:cool:

On mine they didn't accually touch.The corners of the X plate did bow towards the mobo though. Do you have the large plastic washers inbetween the X plate and the mobo? THE FANMAN:cool:

IF by "large" you mean the skinnier wider ones, no. I only have the small diameter thick washers between the studs and the mobo.

stud --> thick washer --> mobo -(does not touch between here)-> X-plate

Mine is :standoff(stud)-->thick washer-->mobo-->large washer----->X plate. Small steel washers under sping on screws. I'm still waiting on a reply from JIM at Thermalright.THE FANMAN:cool:

What did you guys do with the metal washers?...I didn't use them; they seemed like they got in the way more than anything else.

I beleive the 4 star picture has been deemed "better" due to the movement of the stuff inside the heatpipe.

I tested my SP-94 HS orientation a couple of weeks ago.I pick up MOBYDICK and layed him on his(mobo side of case) back.I keeped everything the same ie,fan speeds,load, and ambient(room) temp..There was less than 1/2°C difference from the least favorable position,and the best.You be the judge,does it make a difference.I tested for 1 hour to let everything settle out.TEST<TEST<TEST.THE FANMAN:cool:

This just came to me this morning.THE FANMAN:cool:

Dear John,

All three methods are okay and should adjust to better fit different motherboards, with small plastic washer between the motherboard and standoff, the temp difference is about 2¢XC better than 2 layers of plastic washers, and 1 large plastic washer only setup can reduces 0.5~1¢XC further. However with only 1 layer of large plastic washer the pressure between IHS and HSF base is 45 +/- 3lbs and really on the upper margin of Intel socket 478 design limit thus might create some issue with LAN party goers when transporting. As far as putting large plastic washers on the back side, it is really just our mechanical engineer's suggestion since we had some users short out their mobo (sure, install a CPU with power connected, nice work!!) Again, it obviously caused some confusions to newbie.....I need to rewrite the installation guide again &)**!!

Back