• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Looking for help..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barret

ok first off...here are my specs:
Tower- Chenbro Orange w/Black Mid-Tower ATX Case, Model PC61166 ORANGE...

Motherboard- Abit IC7 Max 3

Cooling system- 92mm rear, 120mm front fans*

Video Card- SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP

Power Supply- Antec 480W Power Supply, Model "TRUE480"

CPU- Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

Hard Drive-
Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD1200JD, OEM Drive Only

RAM- pc3500 xms corsair memory 2x512 sticks

CD Drive(s)- CD-RW 52x32x52, CD-DVD 16x

Monitor- G71f+B
SPEAKERS!- Logitech Z640 5.1 Speakers
SOUND CARD- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI Sound Card

Green Quad-LED 92mm Crystal Ball Bearing Fan
Green Quad-LED 120mm Crystal DUAL Ball Bearing Fan

now my question is, i am going to need a different card for high speed wireless internet acces right? any specific one if so? (looking for a VERY good one...have cable modem :D )

what kind of router do you have for your wireless?

if it has hardwire ports and you don't HAVE to have wireless, just use the mobo's onboard LAN. otherwise just grab a wireless card. netgear is usually what i go with. just grab a 54Mbps one.

Tim

Barret said:
no one is even going to post a reply :(
Isn't this a double post? If not, here is what I said very recently in another post.

It depends on what wireless you want to use. There is 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g. There is also phone wire networking systems and power line networking systems.

I would stay with any of the 802.11a,b, or g. All 3 have enough speed to suite your needs.

802.11a has a rated speed up to 54 Mb/s but a short range.

802.11b has a rated speed up to 11 Mb/s but a long range. Some units double that to 22 Mb/s.

802.11g has a rated speed up to 54 Mb/s AND a longer range AND is backwards compatible with 802.11b. Additionally, you can get many 802.11g products that double the speed to 108 Mb/s.

I use the D-Link brand DI-614+ wireles router. It is 802.11b @ 22 Mb/s.

Which ever you select, you'll have to get a wireless unit for your PC and have the same type of wireless router or Access Point.

Hope that helps.

*edit* Yep, double post. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=265915

FYI. Don't do that. It upsets people.

Last edited:
Back