• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build for next year

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tomlintm

ok i desided to make a new pc next year and im curious what you all think

intel build:

ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K6 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard or am4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157629

Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 or Zen http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117561

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVRB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231977

6x Corsair Air Series AF140 LED Red Quiet Edition High Airflow 140mm Fan Model CO-9050017-RLED
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K633C9983

1x Corsair Air Series SP120 LED Red High Static Pressure 120mm Fan Model CO-9050019-WW
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K633D0199

anidees AI-Crystal Tempered Glass Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case, Compatible with E-ATX, M/B - Black
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7TD4602092

the case im waiting for rosewell version of it

the stuff im keep
850w
RX 480
120gb ssd
1.5tb hdd
blue ray drive

I'd wait until you're ready to order to plan, lots of new stuff around the corner for Intel/AMD.

Also, I'd look at PWM controlled fans, but not from Corsair as theirs have issues with PWM splitters.

I'd wait until you're ready to order to plan, lots of new stuff around the corner for Intel/AMD.

Also, I'd look at PWM controlled fans, but not from Corsair as theirs have issues with PWM splitters.

ya i no new stuff around the corner but i like to start my new build early research and plan accordingly

and once i see the new kaby lake and zen benchs then i will alter my build to that but if i dont see much of a improvment in games then i will keep what i have or alter it

well i usely just plug what fans i can in to the board and plug the rest of them in to the a mulex fan cable from the psu and run them from there b/c i dont mind the fan noise i got use to it from over the years of having 9 fans running full speed all the time in my thor v2

Little point to a build now outside of case, ram, psu, for a system at least 3 months away with all the new stuff coming out. Everything is going to change board and cpu wise and you have the rest of the parts already.

What you have built for now is fine for now (see atm's comments re: fans)... :)

I bought some Corsair AF120s a while back and really disliked them. Too loud and I was getting some like whine or something in the vertical orientation. There are fans that are either cheaper/quieter with comparable CFM. Check out some of fan comparisons/benchmarks.

Little point to a build now outside of case, ram, psu, for a system at least 3 months away with all the new stuff coming out. Everything is going to change board and cpu wise and you have the rest of the parts already.

What you have built for now is fine for now (see atm's comments re: fans)... :)

no i need the parts i listed

the pc im using now is in my sig

I bought some Corsair AF120s a while back and really disliked them. Too loud and I was getting some like whine or something in the vertical orientation. There are fans that are either cheaper/quieter with comparable CFM. Check out some of fan comparisons/benchmarks.
hmm i dont want fans with a whinning sound going to have to look at them benchmarks u suggested

i was thinking the new hd and sp fans from corsair

I haven't had any problems with Corsair fans, but they tend to sound like a MiG-25 spooling up at higher RPMs.
tho since im going to 140mm fans they wont sound that bad will they lol

but hey at least you no the air flow in the case is optimal lol

- - - Updated - - -

I would go with a EVGA SC GTX 1070 Black Edition.

i entered a giveaway for a 1080 :p from jaystwocents

I have 6 of the Corsair SP 140mm fans and 3 AF 140mm fans, all seem to do fine on the fan controller. The are whisper quite on lower settings, but do get a little noisy all the way up. Even at 50%, I can't hear them over the ambient noise of my house though.
I also didn't see a cpu cooler in the build. Using an existing one, or getting a new one?

I have 6 of the Corsair SP 140mm fans and 3 AF 140mm fans, all seem to do fine on the fan controller. The are whisper quite on lower settings, but do get a little noisy all the way up. Even at 50%, I can't hear them over the ambient noise of my house though.
I also didn't see a cpu cooler in the build. Using an existing one, or getting a new one?

oh i guess some of the ppl that replyed had bad batchs of the fans and yes im keeping my coolermaster hyper evo 212 its a awsome heatsink

I would go with a EVGA SC GTX 1070 Black Edition.

Why go with the black edition over the normal SC or an FTW?

Are they voltage or PWM controlled though?

there 3 pin 12v fans from what they say on newegg

The reason I asked is because there are 3-pin and 4-pin versions of the SP and AF series.

Even though you're accustomed to loud, consider going with 4-pin PWM fans and controlling them via a splitter.
You'll be shocked how nice it is to not hear fans ramped up unless they need to be :)

The reason I asked is because there are 3-pin and 4-pin versions of the SP and AF series.

Even though you're accustomed to loud, consider going with 4-pin PWM fans and controlling them via a splitter.
You'll be shocked how nice it is to not hear fans ramped up unless they need to be :)

to be honest i want them to run at full speed from the start up of the system b/c i wont have to worry about temps at all i can just get in there and play :p

You won't have to worry about temps if they're set up like I'm talking about...
Fan speed is set up to be a function of temperature when using a PWM splitter on a PWM motherboard fan header.

You won't have to worry about temps if they're set up like I'm talking about...
Fan speed is set up to be a function of temperature when using a PWM splitter on a PWM motherboard fan header.

any suggestions on a good pwm splitter

and i looked for the 4pin pwm version and it seems they dont make them anymore or somthing b.c all i come up with is 3pin

Last edited:
Are they voltage or PWM controlled though?

Hmm...off hand I can't remember now. I'll check when I get home. I thought they were PWM, but now you have me thinking they might not be...
They are the 'older' design fans, not the new ones with the color rings.

Back