• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does FSB matter to the processor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRD

A Barton 3200 normally runs at 2.2 ghz, or 200x11.

If I could get the same internal clockspeed using a lower FSB but a higher multiplier, should the processor be indifferent to it? i.e. would it likely work at a 166x13.25 (assuming such settings were even available)?

Also, how hard is it to unlock a Barton so i can screw with the multiplier?

MRD

A Barton 3200+ should still be multiplier unlocked depending on what motherboard you should be able to freely change your multiplier. Also you can run your CPU at a lower FSB, but it will really hurt performance since FSB is the key to haveing good memory bandwidth. Your best bet is to get good ram and motherboard that will let you run at the high FSB's if you can.
-Ir0nman

I already have the mb and ram, and both cap at 166 (I am upgrading).

I was hoping I could put a Barton 3200 in because it supports a higher clock speed than the 3000. However, my mb and ram don't support a 400 FSB.

What I wanted to do was get the same clockspeed as a 3200 400fsb but at a lower fsb (raising the multiplier to compensate). Sure it will be slower than a true 3200/400, but it should be faster than a 3000/333 as it will still have the 333 fsb with a slightly faster multiplier.

But I'm not sure that the processor will necessarily support the higher mult even if the resulting clock speed is the same.

MRD

Yes it will support the clock speed without a problem. what motherboard are you using, I don't think you should have any problems getting to the higher multipliers in bios. The 3200+ Bartons should still be unlock I think since they would still be stockpiled. The 2500's were the real movers. Look for a pre week 39 Chip if you can find it, otherwise ask around someone will know the cutoff for unlocked 3200+'s.
-Ir0nman

I'm using an A7N8X mb, rev 1.04 with Crucial PC2700 ram (2x512).

This is probably obvious, but how can you know what week a chip is?

MRD

it will be on a black tag opn the processor itself http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/amd/barton-3000/barton-3000+marking.jpg
This link shows the black tag, and one of the codes is 0303 spaw. It means week 3 or 2003 That is where the date will be. and the processer may or may not work at the higher multipliers, I am pretty sure that it should without a problem with that motherboard. My Athlon 2100+ worked low and it was originally high, so you should be able to get the highs from the low range.
you should be able to get a little better than 166 out of you 2700 ram if you are willing to play with voltages a little bit. everyone here is more than happy to help with a little overclocking project. Thats one of the things that make these forums great. post back with any more questions.
-Ir0nman

Hmm link does not seem to work.

How can I be reasonably sure that I'm getting an unlocked processor? If I'm stuck with the old mult, in a 333 FSB board, I'd be better off with a 3000, it would be faster.

Is it known which weeks are locked and not locked, and do any websites give weeks of production for their chips?

MRD

by the black sticker on the CPU, on bartons you will see something like:
AXDAxx00DKV4D/E
AQxxAyywwxxxx
basically what I showed in selection represents the year and week of the chip, the yy means year the ww means week, here's an example.

AXDA3200DKV4E
AQZFA0345xxxx
This means a 3200+ at 200MHz FSB (the E in the end of first line) an AQZFA stepping and its week 45 of '03.

Back