• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec True 430w vs. Fortron 530w

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDizzle

Fortron 530w

Antect True 430w

I'm about to buy a psu and was wondering what you guys thought was the best for my money. Both come out to the same amount.

Anyone have experience with one or the other or both I would love to hear from you.

Can you guys also tell me if they are loud.

Thanks

In my opinion, Fortron makes a better power supply. They have an external fan speed control, and very easy to adjust voltage rails. My Fortron 350 is a beast, and super stable. In my experience, it has about a 3% tolerance on voltages.

i am also torn between this decision

which of the two psu's is quiter?

is the fortron 530 overkill? is the 400w a better psu?

i have the antec true430 and its great. runs my overclocked system with 2 cd drives floppy two CC's 9 fans and one Hd fine. voltage rails are good too. not loud either

the fortron is cheap now, i think i'll get one to replace my highpower 420w(aka sirtec psu) , for some reason my harddrive clicks off every once in a while with this one, and i tried pushing the connector in and it just kept spinning down then powering up untill it crashed.

I had this happened to me before. It turned out that my Abit NF7 does not like too many fans plugging into her directly.

drewthomas14 said:
the fortron is cheap now, i think i'll get one to replace my highpower 420w(aka sirtec psu) , for some reason my harddrive clicks off every once in a while with this one, and i tried pushing the connector in and it just kept spinning down then powering up untill it crashed.

I'd go with the Forton PSU. The Antec is likely to about meet its ratings, maybe exceed them. The Fortrons generally can exceed their ratings by quite a fair margin. Take into account that the Fortron is rated higher to begin with, and the choice should be easy. Normally build quality would be a factor, but with two top units like this it's not completely necessary.

I have the Antec, but I''ve heard good things about Fortron. Maybe you should take a look at the price, then decide if you need 530w. I'm running 4 IDE drives off of 430w. I'll also vouch that the Antec is a lot quieter than previous power supplies. I think the bottom line is you can't go wrong with either....

I have an Antec 430 TP and a Sparkle 350. Under a *load* I saw my Antec +12 dip to a low spike of 10.80, +3.3 was 2.80 and +5 was 4.60. To adjust it you would have to mod it. I put in the Sparkle and adjusted it so it never goes below 12.8, 5.03. I have the $20 Sparkle 350 and the +3 has no adjustment but it always stays above 3.25. I seem to favor my Sparkle...

* The load was Prime95 torture, Super PI 32M and UT2003 spectator mode all running simultaneously.

I say go with the Fortron, overall you can change out the fan if you think it too noisey. I believe the Fortron unit comes with 2 fans.

enio said:
fortron fortron fortron

Oh yeah! :cool:

If you go Fortron don't bother with the 400w models
as the 530w is only a few dollars more.
Both have the same adjustment pots.
... +5v and +12v on the same pot. :(

In contrast all three 300w Fortron here have all three
pots. (+3.3v, +5v, and +12v) True, the 5v rail might change when
you adjust the +12v, but that can be attributed to them
drawing power from the same source.

Back