• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which chip runs cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
E

ebola

im just wondering since i'm purchasing a celeron 566 if it will run a bit cooler than my celeron 466. the voltage on the fcpga chips is lower than the ppga chips and the surface area touching the heatsink is less so does anyone know.

im using an alpha pal 6035 heatsink.

it will probabally be a bit cooler at default speed due to the lower voltage, especially if it is a cBO core which only runs at 1.5v, overclocking will be a differant matter though, that 466 probabally woule only go to around 550-600mhz where as that 566 should reach at least 850, maybe even 952mhz+, and also due to the lower surface area to conduct heat to the heatsink with it will mean that it is a little hotter, but even at 950mhz with 1.9v or so, with a good heatsink, artic silver and some case fans you should be able to get the load temps between 30-40oC

Original Celly's run hotter than CII's. This might make you think, "Kewl. I'll put the old HSF and fresh thermal paste on that lil' glass slug, and Hi-Oh Silver."

The Alpha 6035 will make the transition safely. You're OK.

My Vantec SI5, even with AS and the new Delta 38 on it didn't. After toasting the PIIIE 550 with five brief excursions to 56C, it took it five months of 500 spontaneous reboots, and finally a dead CPU before I picked up the clue phone.

Shuh! It's the HS, stupid. Even though the FC-PGA's put out less heat than the Celerons, the heat they do produce must be sucked away from the little glass slug as fast as is possible! A HS with some heft to it is necessary. The SI5 is a weenie little thing, even with the monstro fan, it was not up to the task. You may want to get a Delta 38, for the summer. A 60 mm to 80 mm fan adapter will let you miss the "glory" of the sound of the Delta 38.

I was thinking I would probably run it at 850 until I get a few more case fans. thanks for the info.

Back