• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Impressed with Linux + OpenGL gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chasingapple

I must say I am amazed at how fast Linux as an OS really it, Im using Fedora Core 1 and I just love it. I decided to go ahead and download something 3D tonight and I chose Unreal Tourney 2003, love that series. With the latest Nvidia drivers loaded up (5336) I launched the game to check it out (picture keanu here)...WHOA! I didnt think 3D would be all that great compared to the mighty driver tweaked windows version but here it was screaming fast and looking great!

I have not tweaked the driver in the least (not even sure you can), but wow, gaming is PIMP on Linux! Since I now found a nice secure OS to use I am now even happier to love it for gaming. Any other games out there that have a Linux version or at least a demo I could check out?

Just wanted to share my joy :)

Cheers

Another favorite game of mine is Space Tripper, which is natively available for OSX, Linux and Windows. You can grab the demo from PomPom's site. It's well worth the money for the full version.

Most games, however, aren't natively available for Linux. There are two ways to adapt. My favorite method is to (mostly) drop gaming as an empty waste of time and go on to more useful and meaningful pursuits. The more popular way is to buy winex, which has good support for many windows games. It costs a minimum of US$15 ($5/month for at least 3 months), but it's a very reasonable price to pay IMHO.

There are a couple other native Linux games around (q3* comes to mind), but you'd have to ask a more avid gamer than me for a list.

My favorite method is to (mostly) drop gaming as an empty waste of time and go on to more useful and meaningful pursuits

I agree, there is alot of more enjoyable things to do on linux than play games, it is amazing how much customizability there is in linux that if you know how to code in C, you can do anything. Also, most games that have been coming out recently have been garbage rehashes of old games, so I just sit back and play my old copy of doom I and II into the ground :D.

the only game worth playing, imo, is starcraft... which is what I'll do right now :D
actually, since switching to linux, my only entertainment has been:
1.-Getting things to work as I want them to
2.-Customizing everything else

which are much more entertaining than games...

Agreed, but im always a gamer. I tried a little experiment last night, did a mild overclock to 166x11 and my FPS went from 165 to 196!!! I didnt realize that overclocking yeilded such an increase on linux, sure as hell didnt in windows, lol.

Back