• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long do CPU's last?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hay112

Registered
Just in general about how long do AMD cpu's last? Is like a few years or is it something like 10 years? Stock? and Overclocked?

10yrs stock according to amd overclocked if your a really extremist they can last humm a few test. On a stable overclock nothing major temp's stay under 50c should last a few yr's maybe less maybe more. I upgrade my cpu pretty often 1 ever 6 month @ least so cpu dieing I'am not worried about killing it I am.

Last edited:
Well i've heard alot of ppl compare this industry to horses so i might as well too. it really depends on what u do with it like a horse if u ride it long and hard all day the horse will not last. take the same a horse that u would ride just not so hard or often and it will last u longer

More than 20 years on 3000NM (3 microns) process

*looks over at IBM XT humming away in the corner

woot, the XT's! theres a sticky somewhere about this, OCing it by .2V decreases life span of 20% or something like that...

Como said:
woot, the XT's! theres a sticky somewhere about this, OCing it by .2V decreases life span of 20% or something like that...

hm...so if you increase it by 1V, that decreases the life span by 100%? now either it's too early in the morning for me, or that's wrong :)

There is a thread by

QUOTE]Originally posted by hitechjb1 [/QUOTE]

A 10% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 83% of nominal failure time.
A 20% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 69% of nominal failure time.
A 30% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 59% of nominal failure time.
A 50% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 44% of nominal failure time.

Back