• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

96 Cores 192 threads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
I don't see any place to post on server CPU's so I'm putting it here.

For those that don't know, AMD has new EPYC CPU's, the 9004 series, they use a new socket type SP5, what I'm wondering is how long will this will pass to desktop CPU's? :)

Last edited:
So its 4x 24 core modules interlinked?

Sorry didnt watch the video but knowing how current Epyc chips are built that would be my assumption...

Kind of a weird configuration, but still beastly in a single socket.

Wowsers! That's... wow. Wondering what the performance hit is if they jump off the module? the core?

Also over 4GHZ in speed
IIRC, the 96c monsters only boost to around 3.7 GHz with all-core around 3.5 GHz. The only ones that reach 4Ghz+ are on boost is the 48c chip (and less). The 32c chip (and less) does 4GHz+ all-core.

A 7950X runs at 5.2GHz+ all core at 170W for reference.

Wowsers! That's... wow. Wondering what the performance hit is if they jump off the module? the core?

IIRC, the 96c monsters only boost to around 3.7 GHz with all-core around 3.5 GHz. The only ones that reach 4Ghz+ are on boost is the 48c chip (and less). The 32c chip (and less) does 4GHz+ all-core.

A 7950X runs at 5.2GHz+ all core at 170W for reference.
The 9XXXF are faster than the non 9XXXF parts, anyway I did hear 4.3GHZ :)

Random engineering question...I wonder if all the wires in the substrate to all the cores have to be the same length...
Great question, but would it really matter? as long as they are the same impedance and ohms the electrical impulses will travel at the same "Speed" or the information will get there at the same time with no impedance.

Great question, but would it really matter? as long as they are the same impedance and ohms the electrical impulses will travel at the same "Speed" or the information will get there at the same time with no impedance.
I don't know the answer, but if what you say is true, it seems logical to think you'd have to have the same lengths so the signals arrive at the same time. If all speeds are the same, a longer path takes longer for the pulse to get there. Does the CPU have some kind of logic for that baked in?

No idea. But it FEELS like these are built symetrically for a reason. :shrug:

I don't know the answer, but if what you say is true, it seems logical to think you'd have to have the same lengths so the signals arrive at the same time. If all speeds are the same, a longer path takes longer for the pulse to get there. Does the CPU have some kind of logic for that baked in?

No idea. But it FEELS like these are built symetrically for a reason. :shrug:
My guess is that every wire and every connection is absolutely perfect right down to the nano wire.

Random engineering question...I wonder if all the wires in the substrate to all the cores have to be the same length...
I'm not sure about the inside of the CPU but on the outside it matters like from the CPU to the ram, the copper traces for the ram socket closes to the CPU have to be the same leanth as the traces to the ram socket farthest from the CPU. It all has to do with timing.

I'm not sure about the inside of the CPU but on the outside it matters like from the CPU to the ram, the copper traces for the ram socket closes to the CPU have to be the same leanth as the traces to the ram socket farthest from the CPU. It all has to do with timing.
I just learned this the other day, so I was looking at that big conglomeration of chiplets and wondering if the same was true for a CPU substrate and even on die cache.

Back