• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FOP-32 fan upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KV

Registered
Does anybody know a good high performance (not too loud) fan to replace the 26 CFM stock fan on a FOP-32? I think we can fit a 80mm fan up there. Trying to find a good fan seller. Thanks.

KV

No, you're pretty much at the limit. Otherwise you'll have to go for one of those super loud (46.5 dBA) 38.5 cfm, 60mm, 6800 rpm, Delta screamers that sound like a helicopter. that would, in effect, simply convert your FOP32 to a FOP38 anyway.

There's a 60mm to 80mm adapter out there but it's very expensive ($38) and specifically doesn't work on GlobalWins.

I suppose you could make up your own with some foil duct tape or something like that.

you can put an 80mm fan on and there are only 2 real options with this, you can get a 35cfm or so fan, this would probabally cool about as well as the 27cfm ys-tech fan due to the over hang but it is extremely quiet, or you can get a 45cfm or so fan and get similar cooling to the 80mm delta but a lot quieter, slightly louder than the 60mm ys-tech but not as bad as the delta.
I have a 47cfm ys-tech 80mm and this cools almost exactly the same as a delta but is far moe tolerable, in a case full of fans it disapears where as the delta stands out with it's high pitch whine.
in my experiens 60-80mm shrouds don't do much for extra air flow as 80mm fans just don't push hard enough so you get a lot of back flow, I have tryed my 80mm fan on the FOP with the clips and a home made shroud and all the shroud did was make it noisier but didn't cool any better, I would really recomend the 47cfm ys-tech fan as like I said about my case being full of fans you can't tell the differance with this one extra fan, where as if I have the 60mm ys-tech, quiet as it is it still stands out due to the slightly higher pitch and the 47cfm cools about as well as a delta

I think that you can bend the clips that hold the fan to fit an 80mm fan. Look at 3dfxcool .com, they did it with their BigMoFoHO.

someone just asked about this.......I only had enough juice to get one pic from my camera so the quality is lousy. But you get the idea....no tools necessary.

[img=[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=96108&a=12347703&p=47555767&Sequence=0&res=high[/URL]]

that is how I currently have mine mounted, except my fan doesn't over hang by the same amount on every side, I figured that due to the dead spot more air would be directed at the heatsink with the fan lined up on 2 of the sides, I also tryed using flat peice's of plastic on the 2 overhanging sides to duct the air to the heatsink which dropped my temps about 1oC but better than nothing

Great input. I love the 60mm to 80mm converter. It's perfect. Except for one detail. $39 plus shipping. Oh well. I like Shadow's attachment idea better, it's free.

I'll check out those fans. Thanks for the great info, again.

KV

like I said in an earlier post the fan adapters don't work that well, especially when pushing because the fans don't push hard enough and a lot of air is blow back, hardocp recentall did a review of one, and the temps were the same for most heatsinks with the delta 60mm and the delta 80mm, considering that the 80mm fan puts out about 60% more air I would expect that the fan without a shroud/duct would out-perform the 60mm delta and they even comented on the blow back.

Go with the 80mm swap, you'll be glad you did. I'm using a Sunon 80mm high output fan that is rated 42 CFM. Not only does it flow more, but it is 10 db quieter than the Delta 60mm shrill whiner.

Back