• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF 1942 performance problem....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oso_fast

I am having a really choppy game when i play bf1942...I have the specs listed in my sig...i was wondering if you guys have any tips to help increase performance of the game...I run it at 800*600 with high/medium detail...it gets really choppy at times....thanks

Are you using onboard sound? BF is really sound heavy for some reason. Try putting your quality levels for sound to the lowest and see if it improves.

Hmmm, I'm running BF with specs pretty much less than yours and I run smoooth.

Do you have cable connection? If so do you have a good upload rate? Also of course, make sure you have the latest drivers, and since your rocking a radeon, some people gain performance with older drivers, or newer ones. I've heard 3.7 have the best speed, but I persoanlly use the latest DNA drivers based on 4.1 drivers. You could also check out the MOBO options, like disable fast write, and have the AGP apeture size according to your vidcard.

Also in BF I run the res at 1024x728x32 (for some reason seems to run better than in 800x600)

Hope those pointers helped. If not check out the planetbattlefield.com forums and see if peopel are having the same issues.

ok BF1942 is heavly reliant on memory and will quite happily eat up 512mb. There are alot of previous posts regarding the same issue and common sensus says that to fully enjoy the game you really require 1 gig of ram. Also as mentioned previously if your running onboard sound BF1942 will eat away at the performance due to the high level of sound in the game.

FarEast said:
ok BF1942 is heavly reliant on memory and will quite happily eat up 512mb. There are alot of previous posts regarding the same issue and common sensus says that to fully enjoy the game you really require 1 gig of ram. Also as mentioned previously if your running onboard sound BF1942 will eat away at the performance due to the high level of sound in the game.

yep, I have a 9600xt now and BF1942 plays perfect at 1280/960 with 4X AA and 8 X AF.

I do set the sound detail to medium also, I have a gig of ram though

hmmm i have onboard sound....i have cable with good upload...ill try to decrease my sound options...i havent even looked at the sound menu...

thanks

I only have 512 MB of PC2100 RAM, and it doesn't prevent my game from running at 92FPS. I'm rockin a audigy 2 sound card, and using hardware support in bf. Back in the day though on my Celeron 733, I would put the sound quality down, and it increased fps a bit.

you dont NEED 512mb of RAM to have BF play smoothly. there's something else thats the culprit here.

1) did this happen before you upgraded to the new 1.6 patch, or only after?

2) define in more detail your "choppiness" does it play fine for awhile, then skip a frame or two? or is it constantly unplayable?

3) does it lag if you play a single player game?

answer these so we can try and help you out. the reason i ask if it only happens after you upgrade to 1.6 is because there have been reports of these kinds of problems with people after upgrading...

Ok, I had BF1942 playing fine on my 1.4tbird 256 PC133 memory system! (same vid card as the one in my sig) And this was at 1024x728. You don't need a killer system for BF1942 (unless you want all the bells and whistles)

That's a pretty decent system you have there, I would try the following-
Get all the latest drivers and patches.
Turn the Sound quality DOWN.
Turn down AA to 2x or off (your system should be totally fine at 2x)
Make sure you don't have some other program eating up your memory and make sure you close unnecessary programs while playing BF1942
Defrag your hard drive!

Other than that I can't think of anything at the moment. You should be able to play at 1024x728 with most of the settings on high without any problem.

KIll the 4.1 drivers if you have them and try it with Punky disabled..

i use 4.1s...I cant really say if this issue has happened proir to the 1.6 because i rea;;y didnt play the game that much before 1.6..ill try the game again and post fps

when i typed in the fps thing i was getting I would be getting like 100 fps then it would drop....

it would drop alot....i also noticed that its laggier in multiplayer games...

Back