• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New prescott stepping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dropadrop

Well, that did'nt take long. They hardly got this one shipping, and a new one is allready on the way. I guess most people who have one would agree that it's needed though.

Intel Pentium 4 processor with 1MB L2 Cache on 90nm Process Technology, will undergo following changes for C-0 to the D-0 core processor stepping change:

* CPUID will change from 0F33h to oF34h
* D-0 will incorporate planned power optimizations to enable speed enhancements
* D-0 is pin compatible with C-0

http://developer.intel.com/design/pcn/Processors/D0103854.pdf

Aparently the 3.4E are allready been made with this new stepping, so there won't be any change there. Better steer clear of the early lower clocked models... I guess we can expect to see lower clocked processors with this stepping to ship shortly after the 3.4E's become available.

That's very good news! The first stepping was just not very good for ocing, maybe this one will be better since the 2.8's and the 3.4's should be based on the same stepping now.

Wouldn't surprise me if Intel and AMD have employees that are also members of our forum. Most certainly they read lots of reviews and various computer forums... including this one from time to time, I'm guessing.

I think it's been clear to them from the start that the first stepping was not up for the job. The 3.4ghz part is made on the new stepping from the beginning, meaning they knew all along that the first stepping would'nt scale far at all.

Anyway, it'll be intresting to see how the new stepping does!

I don't think it'll be as good as the difference between a tbred A and tbred B, but it should help. I wonder how long intel will continue to put out the old stepping.

Every little bit helps. Let's hope this combined with the new socket and chipset make for cooler running Prescotts. I have faith that Intel will make things right, but it's not going to happen overnight. (hey that rhymes!)

It's hard to sit on the sidelines, but I've made up my mind to wait until both AMD and Intel have their new stuff out. I just don't want to wish I had waited for socket 939 or 775.

If nothing else, 2004 is shaping up to be a very interesting year - from a development standpoint.

dropadrop said:

Aparently the 3.4E are allready been made with this new stepping, so there won't be any change there. Better steer clear of the early lower clocked models... I guess we can expect to see lower clocked processors with this stepping to ship shortly after the 3.4E's become available.
According to the latest Processor Update Spec for Intel the 3.4E (SL7B9) also has the C0 stepping? I wonder why they have stated it as such and not incorporated it into the product change sheet along with the others - must be an oversight I guess?
http://apps.intel.com/scripts-util/...+Specification+Update&fullpg=3&site=Developer

Last edited:
tom10167 said:
I can't believe how quickly Intel reacted to that flop. They must have done that for a reason, maybe they have people on the board secretly working for Intel.

Heh, it doesn't take much to realize that 103 watts is too much. You underestimate Intel's engineers. ;)

Back