• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What value resistor to use to not blow up LED?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JasonKosi

I've got an LED that draws about 40ma at 3.5V.
If I want to run it off of a 12V-14V source (my car), what value resistor should I use to keep my LED from fizzling out on me?

My own (and probably flawed) calculations look like 250-350 ohms should do it but I want to make sure I didn't look at things the wrong way.

Thanks in advance!
Jason

212.5 ohms is what you need for 12v, 262.5 for 14v. If you want to be on the safe side, get a 300ohm resistor or something.

And for future reference, when calculating resistance for LEDs:

Power Source (PSU) volatge minus the LED voltage (LV), divided by the current (A).

(PSU-LV)/A

For your specific situation....

(12-3.5)/.040 = 212.5 ohm

or

(14-3.5)/.040 = 262.5 ohm

just fyi, the calculator link above gives the same results.

While in school I learned that if you use a 1.2K-ohm resistor on 9 -20 v the led did fine. I know this is not as fancy (scientific) as use X for y volt and A for N volt but it works. Heaven forbid you step on the accelerator in you car and the voltage jumps to 15v your calculation would be all wrong. ;)

Back