• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using the stock Athlon XP fan on a 9500 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Hilts

A bunch of you guys probably have a stock Athlon XP heatsink sitting around like I do, so you might want to try this out. I was looking at the thing the other day and realized that the fan shroud looked about the same size as my 9500 Pro heatsink, and when I tried fitting it on, it actually fit perfectly (as did the screws).

I've had a few of these stock Athlon XP heatsinks and it seems like some are louder than others. This particular one is actually very quiet, probably about just as quiet as the stock 9500 Pro fan. Temps aren't down drastically but they are by about 2C or so (measure using the temperature sensor that came with my case, which I had to remove why changing the fans on the video card, so the results are far from scientific since it depends on the exact placement of the sensor).

I've attached a pic for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• 9500 pro.jpg
    9500 pro.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 207
just a questin but... why not put the whole amd heatsink on there. unless your using it of course

It's too heavy, especially since it would be hanging upside-down. Maybe some good epoxy would hold it but I wouldn't want to take a chance. I'd imagine that it would do a nice job if I could keep it on there somehow though.

just drill holes in the bottom of the heatsink, and run some threaded rod and bolts through it.

AA adhesive held a stock AMd heatsink on my geforce3 just fine, in fact, I should have diluted it some, it was a pain to get off.

Hmm, something to consider. I've always thought that that heatsink hanging upside-down like that wasn't a good idea. Using the AA might be a better option though if it holds, I don't think it's worth the trouble to drill the holes and stuff

Yeah I get a pretty good OC out of the core, so this was just a quick and easy way to help things out just a bit. Maybe I'll try attaching the whole heatsink later if I get bored and am looking for something else to do with the PC.

Back