• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPS batteries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hyundai

Registered
I have a UPS with a dead battery. I was talking with a friend of mine about it today and he asked: "Why don't you just get a car battery to replace it? Its all 12 volts right?"
To which I replied: "Yes but you can't.... That is its not... See the thing is....." and that was about all I had. I assume I couldn't just replace the battery with a battery meant for a car but, why not? Can I replace it with a batery for a car?

Does anyone know if I can use a car battery with a UPS? I don't expect specific detailed answers given that no one know the fine details about my UPS and I haven't picked a battery yet but what I'm wondering is is it in the realm of possibility?

Hyundai said:
I have a UPS with a dead battery. I was talking with a friend of mine about it today and he asked: "Why don't you just get a car battery to replace it? Its all 12 volts right?"
To which I replied: "Yes but you can't.... That is its not... See the thing is....." and that was about all I had. I assume I couldn't just replace the battery with a battery meant for a car but, why not? Can I replace it with a batery for a car?

Yup, I have done it. I went to Costco and got 2 Deep Cycle Marine batterys, hooked them in parrallel and now it lasts with a nice big monitor for about 30-45 minutes. Remember when you do this, you need to get a DEEP CYCLE battery or you wont have the uptime that you need.:cool:

Edit: I had a simple APC Smart UPS 1250, and used the same specs of the old battery for the new one, just a bigger battery for better uptime. I forget the site, but I will try to find a link to explain how this is done.

Last edited:
It depends on your UPS too. Don't hook to large of a battery up to it or you can blow out the charger.

Which UPS is it anyways?

Yeah I would assume that too, gotta be careful with the charger/electronics of the UPS unit, they might not be made to withstand a higher capacity battery setup like that.....

The unit is an APC "Professional Powercell", I don't think they make them anymore. The battery was rated for 3 years, I got almost 9 out of it. So I suppose I can't complain but if I can get 9 more out of a cheap car battery then why not right?

Hyundai said:
The unit is an APC "Professional Powercell", I don't think they make them anymore. The battery was rated for 3 years, I got almost 9 out of it. So I suppose I can't complain but if I can get 9 more out of a cheap car battery then why not right?

One good reason why not would be, as the battery (lead acid) charges it releases hydrogen gas into the air (among other corrosive compounds). And if you've ever seen those old films of the Hindenberg you know what can happen when hydrogen meets a source of ignition. :eek:

One option however *might* be a sealed gel cell deep cycle battery, although that probably wouldn't work either as they are required to charge at a higher voltage than lead acid, depends on what the charging circuit on the UPS puts out.

Good Luck
elec.tron

I would call up the company because not all UPS's run on 12v mine runs on 18v and I know some have 24v it's best to get one from the manufacturer to make sure you have the right stuff before you go exploding your house with the wrong battery.

elec.tron said:

One good reason why not would be, as the battery (lead acid) charges it releases hydrogen gas into the air (among other corrosive compounds). And if you've ever seen those old films of the Hindenberg you know what can happen when hydrogen meets a source of ignition. :eek:
elec.tron

Most lead-acid batteries are Sealed Lead-Acid like the one in my UPS so you don't really have to worry about that anymore. Also the hindenburg didn't blow up because of the hydrogen it was found out it was because the skin was covered in aluminum and rubber two of the main ingredients in solid rocket fuel for the space shuttle and thermite which when placed on an engine block will burn straight through to the bottom. The hydrogen just added to the explosion.

I found that the cheapest source of UPS batteries in my area was a fire & security alarm supply house. The most expensive place was a store that specialized in rechargeable batteries, which wanted almost double.

I think acid fume could be another problem with a nonsealed battery.

elec.tron said:

Good Luck
elec.tron

I'm getting off topic here, but for the record, hydrogen was most likely merely a contributing factor of the Hindenburg disaster. The fact that the dope used on the airship's fabric was the same substance that Thiokol puts in the Space Shuttle's solid rocket boosters leads me to believe it was the fault of the rocket fuel coating.

-ben

Back