• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Western Digital Vs. Seagate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gmf1

Registered
putting new hard drives in home system. Choices are 2 seagate 160 gb sata 7200 rpm or 2 w/d 74 gb 10000. Money difference in not as important as the whole rig being quiet. Plan on running 2 in Raid 1. Heat and quiet are the issues. not storage.. will have third drive either firewire or something portable. Does anyone uses these . Please advise

I've never used the Raptors nor Seagate's drives. However, I've heard the Raptors run fairly hot and somewhat loud, whereas Segate's drives tend to be quieter than most and of average temp.

The Seagates won't be as fast, but they should fit your needs better.
JigPu

I just noticed that seagate makes a 10,000 73gb drive is this also a quiet drive or is it just the 7200 rpm drives that are considered quiet, but its scsi

Go for seagate, I have both . You'll enjoy it. I seem to see more people complain less about seagate.

Yes, for my personal machines I prefer Seagate due to lack of noise. Pretty solid drives too.

I don't believe it's a big deal even with 3000 RPM difference.

I've used a 20 gig that's down to it's last 4 gigs @ 5300 RPM vs Maxtor 60 gig that has virtually nothing on it @ 7200 RPM and I don't feel a difference at all.

They were virtually the same machine except the 60 gig had 256 ram in there.

Probably the Seagate would be close becuase of the size if not better in my opinion. We know your planning to RAID:D Have fun;)

Back