• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sys mem is more important than vid card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woods

My system was struggling to play BF1942 until I put in another half-gig of mem in it for a total of 1 gig. now I can play with it maxed out on the video side and most of the way on the audio side! I am using the intergrated video on my NF-7M and the intergrated audio. Before I could not even get 30fps with the video and audio set VERY LOW! now I get 70+fps maxed out. What is the deal?

woods said:
My system was struggling to play BF1942 until I put in another half-gig of mem in it for a total of 1 gig. now I can play with it maxed out on the video side and most of the way on the audio side! I am using the intergrated video on my NF-7M and the intergrated audio. Before I could not even get 30fps with the video and audio set VERY LOW! now I get 70+fps maxed out. What is the deal?
BF1942 Loads all textures into memory when it loads a map. Not just map specific textures, all the textures. So if you dont have a decent videocard (128mb) then it has to use your system memory for video processing.
Having 1gb of ram of bf1942 helps a ton, you will only notice that kind of increase on that game though.

i have a real vcard and noticed a HUGE difference after getting a gig of ram. it makes ALL graphically intense games run smoother from my experience.

never again will i have a comp with less then 1gb of ram.

though i must agree with the above posters. buy a real video card. onboard anything is crap. you will see a nice performance increase by using a standalone card

battlefield likes lots of RAM, i used to play it with 512mb, after putting in another 512mb it's alot better :)

It's not just BF1942, I've noticed lots of games will make the systems with 1GB RAM to only 200~300MB free RAM, sometimes below 200MB free.

Not only games, even norton virus scan can take the 1GB system down to around 150~200MB free RAM. Sure the systems with less RAM still can run pretty fast, but it can be faster and smoother with more RAM.

Back