• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone got some info on Princeton LCD's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumpALump

Background, can skip if u want:

Well my mom is odd sometimes.... She thinks that whenever costco has a sale, that that's the lowest price for the best items you can get.

Anyways, she goes out and buys this Princeton VL1916 LCD to give to me so that I can move it around(I live in dorms) and give her my 21" IBM Flatscreen to put in my old room at home so people can use the computer when staying over. I'm hesitant cause I play a lot of games on my computer. Though I'm interested cause moving this 5-10lb LCD vs my 65-75lb monitor is going to be a lot easier. Well not so much the weight but the fact its really bulky and hard to get out of my car(some reason its always easy to get in).

So she spent $550, BUT got a rebate for $50! Bam!!!! It's on sale, she buys it. Mom is crazy! I come home for the weekend and she has the LCD hidden in my closet so my dad doesn't find out LOL:D Then I'm like.... well what if I find a better monitor for around that price and she says no! It was on sale and is a really good brand. Now my mom has no clue to whats a good brand or not, and also even if a brand is good doesn't always mean all their products are good.

The specs are Here
19"
1280x1024 native resolution
DVI & Analog
.294mm
700:1 Contrast
250cd/m^2
25ms

Would this be any good for gaming?

I don't believe I have a DVI connection on my video card. I never had a need for one in the past so that's why I paid for a cheaper GF4. I probably won't be getting a new video card for a while, since spending $300 to get a card that does only slightly better visuals(yeah flame all u want, diminishing returns :p ) on curent games is not worth it at the moment. Always skip generations for video cards;)

In general, Princeton has made nice quality monitors, but I do not know about their LCD's. The response time of 25ms for many people is too slow and they see ghosting and whatnot while gaming, but some people are not bothered by it. If I were you I would try it out and see how it works. Never know for sure until you try.

I was really leary about buying the LCD I have because I am a gamer as well, but after some folks convinced me, I bought a NEC 1760 from Newegg before Christmas (they were $389 with free shipping at that time hehe) and I have not had even one single regret. It works excellently. But mine has a 16ms response time, so not completely comparable to yours. In any case, I hope you have it turn out ok :)

Yeah, I'm afraid of ghosting. I really want one of those new dell 20 inch with 16ms response. I bought the x2vga (xbox HD connection for computer monitors) and don't want to lose quality. Though it would be helpful if I ever go to a friend's house and could bring an extra tv/monitor.

Well I'll test it out on monday and let you guys know how it goes.

Was searching the forums for some advice on a new 19" CRT.

Came across this thread.

My experience with Princeton LCD's is not that good, We bought a bunch of them at work, they were cheap. After a year there is only 1 out of 10 that is still on a desk.

Replaced them with 15 " MAG LCD's, more expensive but great for a workplace monitor. I'm at home now so I don't have the Model Numbers. I can get back to you with more information if you wish.

Back