• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Domain registration recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
Who's a good company to register domains with? My current domain i have with 1&1 (.co.uk), but they don't support subdomains, i don't think, or dynamic IP redirection, and I need to buy a couple more domains.

So, who do you go with? Or/and who do you recommend? I'm in the UK, so if it's a UK based company that would be better, because of the nominet registrations, easier tech support, £-sterling pricing, etc :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yep thats £7.50 for two tears though 1&1 is only one year so its not that bad, I thought it was pretty cheap I have looked around a few and there all about the same price.

By the way how are you finding the 1&1 hosting? I have been thinking about getting my own little place on the interweb for a while now. :D

-Chris

I don't actually host with 1&1. I just have the domain redirection thingy, so I have just bought my domain from them and i'm hosted elsewhere, with domain masking :) Though from what i've found their redirection service is very good :)

I've been looking at lots of registrars, none of them mention subdomains or anything like that. Maybe you have to go to some really big company who charges a fortune for those kinds of features?

EDIT: hmm this is wierd.
There seems to be two catagories in pricing that domain registrars follow. Either really cheap (£0.99-£3.99) or more (£25-£40) per year.

Why is it that some can do it really cheaply? www.internetters.co.uk says this is often due to high release fees and banner ads, but 1&1 has no banner ads with me and i don't believe they charge release fees, and all the services that all these companies (whether cheap or more expensive) offer seems to be the same.

Also, it seems that it maybe the hosting companies that offer the subdomains. Is this true? How does it work? And how would I set it up? (i'm making a network at home, and hope to be able soon to host my website on my server :))

Last edited:
Look at zoneedit i think that might be what you are looking for.

Also, who you register your domain with doesn't effect subdomains or anything else 'dns' related, its just the features they might have avaiable, you can move your domain to anybody's hosting service.

Hmmm, someone mentioned that before. So do I buy the domain from 1&1 and then connect it to zoneedit?

Buy from whoever you want, then all you do is move the authoritative servers to zoneedit (they should have a step by step process telling you what information to use). I haven't used the service personally but i have friends who do.

here is the deal.
Hosting and buying the domain are two different things.

Ex. I have my domain thru network solutions
I have a host thru a friend. The hosting acount I have uses cpanel. Within the Cpanel control panel I can add subdomains.

When I moved to this hosting acount I logged onto my network solutions acount and changed the name servers to point to my hosts nameservers which point it to my hosting acount. Check the services section of the classifieds I know there is at least one guy offering cpanel hosting for cheap. Here is a page on 1and1's site that shows the place to change the nameserver.
http://faq.1and1.com/the_configuration_menu/dns/10.html

Good luck:D

Cool, thanks :)

EDIT: I got good response from this thread :)
Sorry to be a pain, but can anyone help with my other problem?
It's bugging me like hell.
Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Back