• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think I could build this myself?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StreetPharmacy

Hello all, I'm purchasing a new computer, and I'd like to build it myself if possible. Having never done this before, and still in my teens with little to no technical knowledge beyond what-goes-where in the computer world, I'm contemplating whether or not to have somone else build this thing. Here are the specs:

I'm going with a Blizzard 720 Ultra Quiet as a case, just for the ease of opening. Power will be an Antec True 550, it has a top 120 mm blowhole, and a side 120 mm fan, both are Panaflo M1A's. The exhaust/intake fans are four 80 mm Panaflo H1A's. I'm having FrozenCPU mount a 6 channel baybus on one of the 5 1/4 panels, so i can control the speed of the fans, from 12 volts, to 7 volts, and off.

Motherboard: Abit IC7-Max3

Processor: Intel Pentium 4/ 3.4C GHz 800MHz FSB

Heatsink: Thermalright SP-94 - Socket 478 w/ Mounts

CPU Fan: Enermax Blue 92mm Fan w/ Speed Control

Memory: Corsair XMS 1GB (2x512) PC-4000PRO

Video Card: ATI RADEON 9800XT Video Card, 256MB DDR

HD1: Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB

HD2: Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB

HD3: Western Digital 200GB 7200RPM SATA

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro

Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX 6.1 Speakers Retail

RW: NEC 8X Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive

ROM: LITE-ON BLACK 16X DVD ROM Drive, XJ-HD166

Keyboard: Logitech Elite Keyboard

Mouse: Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse

Monitor: NEC/Mitsubishi FE990-BK 19" CRT Monitor –RETAIL

Floppy: Samsung Floppy Drive

OS: Microsoft Windows XP Pro Upgrade Version - Academic

Temp Monitor: Vantec Nexus Multi-Function Panel

Comments? Suggestions? Anything?

Sounds like you made some good component choices.

As to whether you can build it yourself... YES! I was a little nervous the first time I built a box, but it is very simple. Take your time, and if you get stuck on something, just ask here on the forums and someone will walk you throuh it. After its done you'll realize how easy it actually is :)

Good luck!

Memory: Corsair XMS 1GB (2x512) PC-4000PRO

I can't talk from first-hand experience, but I seem to remember hearing that Corsair memory and P4's don't tend to work too well together. I could be wrong, but you might want to look into that.

RW: NEC 8X Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive

ROM: LITE-ON BLACK 16X DVD ROM Drive, XJ-HD166

A DVD writer can play DVD's right? If so, if you really do want a second optical drive then I'd get a Lite-On CDRW one that way you have both CD and DVD writing capabilities.

OS: Microsoft Windows XP Pro Upgrade Version - Academic

Does that mean you need to have an older version of Windows in order to get it to work? If it does, then make sure you have it all sorted out and you can use the upgrade version on your new PC.

Sure, they are pretty easy to stick together. Having a buddy that has done it before come over and guide you threw it is a good idea. Read stuff, and dont throw away stuff till your know you dont need it.

Processor: Intel Pentium 4/ 3.4C GHz 800MHz FSB = Overkill.

What are you doing with this system? (Gaming, I presume?)

Since you are getting PC4000 RAM and an uber motherboard/cooling, may I suggest saving some money on the processor? Get instead a 2.6C and overclock it ;)

Uhm, you don't need a cd burner for the 2nd drive. The dvd burner should do dvd's and cd's, at least mine does. The box said it was an Ikebana or something like that, but the computer says it's an NEC. but it does both cd's and dvds, so save yourself a lilttle $$:)

My Thoughts

With the choice of hardeware you will have I would suspect there are a lot of members of overclockers that would enjoy helping---
the downside of this is they would probably need about 2 years to bench test it before releasing it to be taken home.(My way of adniring your hardeware)
All joking aside - Putting togather a computer isn't really difficult
I would recommend following 9mm's advice and have a experienced friend assist letting you do the work but helping and advising if you need it.

HOLY ****, my wallet would never be the same after purchasing something like that. But yes, you should be able to assemble that system yourself. Just take your time and read a few articles on how to build a new system and you'll be fine. Also, get some latex gloves just to be safe.

When you are putting the parts in the computer, put the power supply in first, then plug it in to the wall, that way when you touch the case it will get rid of any static electricity. Don't worry about getting shocked, all the high voltage stuff is inside the powers supply box. Leave a empty bay between the hard drives for cooling. Always have the top connector of the hard drive cable hooked up to a hard drive and don't use rounded cables, both these things can lead to intermittent data problems. And leave the PCI slot under the AGP slot free, this will help with cooling. Enjoy your build

Woah there, thanks guys. And it's not all that expensive - I'm paying for half, my dad's paying for the other half. Unfortunately for me, I won't be buying any computer games for the next few months, all my funds went to this. And yes, it will be used mostly for gaming, though I do do a lot of graphics design, 3DS Max is my friend.

Oh, what if I don't have any friends who have built their own computer before nearby?

I s'pose I could ask my dad, he's been working on building servers longer than Microsoft has been a corporation...

if your dad knows alot about computers i am sure he could help you out. No point in hireing someone if your dad knows all the ins and outs.

Putting it all together is easy, getting all the software set up is the tricky part..

Most things just fit one way and one place, and nowadays things are even color coded.. Back in the old days, sorting IRQ's, setting jumpers, reserving memory spaces.. Ahh.. Those were the days..

for someone who hasn't built a system before you sure put together one hell of a parts list. please tell me your getting a 20" LCD or something to top it off?:drool:

your dad should know more then enough to help you get that system up and running. just take your time and don't rush.

LCD? What are you smoking? CRT man, no point getting an LCD when the whole rig already weighs in at almost 50 pounds. CRT = Much better resolution, cheaper, albeit heavier than an LCD.

go for it! you have a good eye for good specs, and you seem technically fairly wise. as long as you don't have extremely shaky hands or rub you socked feet on the carpet before you begin to build, your set to go! I have built 3 machines, one crapped out but that wasn't my fault. VIA's fault ;)

dunno what I hit, but i accidently DUPED the same thread, mods feel free to delete this one right here

well i have very similar cpmputer but with asus p4c800 e deluxe, 2.8c, 9800 pro, and i went with ocz 3700 gold due to my processor will get around the 230-240 range. my computer will be down in a few more weeks and it was rather easy to build. did a test boot and my computer posted:) just take your time and read manuals. if your unsure about anything just ask on forums. best to insall power supply first and make sure it is off and plug in wall. be sure to touch case many times while your working to discharge est. take your time installing cpu so you dont bend any pins. artic silver five is a wise choice to use. just place a small bb in center of cpu. clean your sp-94 with isophroyl alchol(90%) due to glue residue left from sticker, and its a good idea to lap it. put artic silver 5 on sp-94 and rub it in and clean with coffee filters.
Small plastic washers - Goes between xplate and mobo.
Big plastic washers - Goes between standoff and mobo.
Metal washers - Goes between spring screws and sp-94
be sure to tighten the bolts to the sp-94 in a criss-cross pattern, tightening the bolts a little bit at a time. Once you tightened one a little bit, then go to the one opposite of it. Then just continue until they are the right tension.

hope this helps:)

:drool:
This may seem obvious, but take your time with the wiring. Every wire has an optimal position for airflow, and zip ties are your friends. My case was a mess before, and by just rewiring I reduced the temps in the case by 2C!
I'd also suggest that you abandon the platinum pro version of the audigy zs. I have the platinum version, and it really isn't worth the extra unless you plan on doing some serious audio work (recording/editing/etc.), I got mine for a gift. The audigy2 zs is a great card and comes with most of the software as the platinum and platinum pro. Unless you really want that remote (which is nice, but rather useless since your mouse is so much faster) just go with the audigy2 zs. oh and the platinum versions have another cable the size of an ide cable to add to the clutter.

Bon chance, and enjoy!

Back