• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Common knowledge is untrue!! Panaflo 120mm fans are NOT the best!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chixofnix

Warning: this post may contain blasphemy, and may contradict your hard-set beliefs in case fans:

The mighty Panaflo L1A is no longer the king of the hill in the 120mm division!

rated at a RESPECTABLE CFM per dBa by various reviews online, it has now been bested by the Evercool Aluminum 120mm in all categories:
- loudness
- CFM
- vibration
- price, and
- looks

I'll now address the evercool's superiority in each category:

Loudness: Before we get into real world noise levels, lets look at their "rated" levels (and we all know how much they mean, but I'd rather cover it now and not have someone else bring it up later for some odd reason)... The Panaflo is rated at 30.0 dB-A, whereas the current Evercool is rated at an ambiguous "<30dBA." I say current, because some will notice that some resellers give the rating as 36.6dBA, but that was an older version of the evercool aluminum 120mm, which is no longer being produced anyway. In real-life, review after review attests that the Panaflo, while subjectively quiet at low voltages, does produce a high-pitched whine at 12V... this whine does die away rather sharply as you lower the voltage, but it's there, and it's annoying. The evercool aluminum, however, has NO discernible mechanical/electrical noise at 12V (or any lower). There IS the noise of the massive amount of air pushed at 12V (best described as a WHOOSH), but that results only from the imperfections inherent in air, not the fan. At lower voltages, pushing less air, this fan is DEAD silent. My proof? Testimony after testimony of real-life comparisons from a thread involving some of the most critical computer-noise haters I've ever seen.. (case fan audiophiles?)

CFM This should be obvious from the ratings (67.9CFM vs. 79.14), but the evercool aluminum pushes a LOT more air than the panaflo at any given voltage... enough to make it's only pertinent sound the aforementioned turbulence of the sheer amount of air being produced at full speed. If you lower the voltage of the evercool to the point that it's CFM = the panaflo's max, the panaflo is STILL making a whine where the evercool is silent mechanically.

Vibration Vibration is BAD for a quiet computer, and the evercool has an apparant upper-hand here.. anyone who's handled the evercool can tell you that it's HEAVY for a 120mm fan.. why is that? why, it's the solid Aluminum fan housing! it's heavy, because the fan's housing has a high mass, bigger mass = bigger resistance to movement (going back to Newton's 1st law), and that bigger resistance to movement means LESS VIBRATION.. less vibration = less noise due to vibrating cases.

Price If there's one thing the Panaflo's reputation has earned it, it's a higher price tag :eek: :D Not only will opting for an evercool make your ears and hot components happy (due to less noise/more airflow), your wallet will be celebrating too!

Looks Okay, some people adamantly reject any "bling-blinginess" whatsoever when it comes to their setup, and I understand and accept that (well, at least I accept it). But if it helps, these fans look "high-performance" compared to any boring (panaflo) black fan... and why shouldn't the best CFM/noise/price fan look a little better than it's competition?

Here's a pic in case you haven't seen this beauty yet:
120alu11.jpg

... and another
alu120b2.jpg

doesn't that just scream "I'm a kick-butt fan that will school yo momma' grandpappy's 2-bit panaflo back to the stoneage!!!" ? or is it just me :cool:

squeakygeek said:

Rating something at CFM per dBa is erroneous. The dBa scale is logarithmic, while CFM is linear.

sorry, mistype... ;) You catch my meaning though - relatively low noise level for a given CFM :cool:

Enermax UC-12FAB-B

Specification:

Compatibility: 120mm Cooling fan
Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Bearing Type: Two Ball Bearing
Nominal Speed(RPM): 1800~2300
Max Air Flow(CFM): 63.05~94.92
Max Pressure: Not Specified
Heat Sink Material: N/A
Rated Voltage: 12V DC
Connector: 3 Pin & 3 Pin to 4 Pin Adaptor
Noise(dBA): 24.60~30.10
Special Features: Fan Speed Manually Adjustable throngh Variable Resistor.Support Fan Speed Monitoring. Fan Speed can be Manually set by User.

Still the best for my moneyEnermax 120mm

It should be noted too that the Evercool is a 25mm whereas the L1A is a 38 so there will be a difference in pressure. (I'm assuming, I haven't checked the specs)

I can say I agree with you, these fans are great, I own 2 of them. They make no noise except for the whoosh of air, and look cool at the same time.

sigh... i'm not talking about ANY linear or non-linear relationship between sound and CFM, squeaky! I'm saying that, for a given (constant) CFM, the Panaflo will, respective to other 120mm fans, have a respectably low dBA... I'm sorry but I can't think of a more clear way to express myself o_O

GM1010 said:
It should be noted too that the Evercool is a 25mm whereas the L1A is a 38 so there will be a difference in pressure. (I'm assuming, I haven't checked the specs)

well, i'm looking at this from a case-cooling perspective, where said pressure wouldn't be so pertinent ;)

DoubleJ8 said:
Still the best for my money Enermax

if you'll read the thread link in my first post, Double, you'll also notice that direct comparisons between the enermax and evercool also result in evercool superiority - the enermax crosses the line between noise and higher CFM output, and if you aren't delta crazy, but do have some level of moderate constant-noise-tolerance (and aren't worried about the price and vibration advantages the evercool offers), then enermax may be the way to go... especially if you don't want to buy a fan controller of some sort and need the rheobus attached ;)

here's one quote from the thread on the enermax in comparison:

"This (ed:evercool) is a great little fan. After more extended use, I can rate it as the quietest 120mm fan, PER AIR VOLUME, I've owned-- slightly beating out the Enermax 120mm and clobbering everything else (vantec, sunon, etc). There is no discernable electric or mechanical noise, it's all air movement."

Dubbin1 said:
What about the Antec PRO 120mm DBB fan? 29.8dBA and 79CFM.

can't say i've seen any comparisons YET between the evercool and the antec PRO... post a link if you find something along these lines :D

Also in the other fans this thread wasn't initially intended to cover department: Anyone heard of the 120mm nexus fans that are supposed to have come out recently? the 80mm was quite impressive, and i'm looking forward to any 120mm review, whenever it may come out... :)

Last edited:
Any idea how the Evercool 80mm fans match up re: other 80mm fans? They seem to be pretty good as far as CFM goes for their dB rating, and if they're also low on the mechanical noise and high on the sexy shiny silveriness, I'm kinda sold already. They look just exactly like the 120mm, from the pictures I've seen thus far.

Have you actually connected the Panflo and the Evercool up to a power supply side by side and felt and heard the difference??? I have...Sold the Evercool's and still have the Panflo's...Hummm...I wonder why???...

The 92 Evercool that was all the rage months back...CFM versus DBA that rivaled any 92 on the planet??? Hey I bought them tried them and promptly sold them...Why??? Their "claimed" CFM and DBA rating...Well...I could hear a difference (they were louder)...And they pushed less air...Hey they are good fans...But better than a Panflo??? Who knows??? I think I have a informed, experinced opinion...

Now this new Antec sounds like something I will have to experience first hand...Personally all the Antec fans I have personal experience with (and that is a bunch) have...Well quiet frankly fell quiet short of any Panflo I have messed with...I thought the Y.S. Tech TMD fan would be the beginning of a brave new world for fans...I too have extensive experience with them...Better than a Panflo that is rated at the same DBA...I dont think so...

Just thought I would throw a monkey wrench into the works...Just to see what "experience" people have with this "alleged" new bad boy on the block...Hey they are purty...;)...In my "experience" not hear say...The Pansonic Panflo's absolutley destroy any fan in the "claimed" CFM versus DBA comparision...And I have tried them, just a few Papst...Some experience with Sayno Denki's...

And you gotta love Evercools mounting system (or lack there of)...Nothing like having a fan that you have to jump through hoops to mount...But hey to each his own...Evercool...Panasonic...Hummm...No Brainer...IMHO...Of course...:rolleyes:...

Something else to consider is the pressure rating of fans...Often overlooked...Some fans just punk out when you put them in a restritive enviroment...Not naming names of course...Evercool are good fans...Pansonic (little bitty company that has very limited resources for reseach and development)...Numbers can be...Well numbers...Put them side by side...Make them work for a living...Not just spin in an open air enviroment...Hummm...:p

Papst...easily the best balanced, build quality fan I have ever owned...But...No juice...My book is still out on Sanyo Denki...Hard to find...Not many flavors...How many models of 80, 92 and 120m/m fans does Evercool make??? Hummm...Hey when it comes to fans...I know on thing for sure...It is just like Earl Campbell...If they aint first...Well you dont have to go to far down the list to get to him...:eek:..."Bum Phillips"

My proof? Testimony after testimony of real-life comparisons from a thread involving some of the most critical computer-noise haters I've ever seen.. (case fan audiophiles?)

Experience???

And just exactly what is a "case fan audiophiles" ??? Must be audiophiles who like to listen to fans??? I mean I have heard of "trance", house, bass and drum, beats...case fan audiophiles...I am really at a loss here fella's...:confused:

Last edited:
Mechanical noise? In a brushless motor with no moving parts? HUH.
Bearing noise I could understand, but the Panny's have none.

Sounds like someone has got some loose panel/component vibration happening, which may or may not be the Panaflo.

When's Joe gonna test some fans out? He's got the equipment, no?

79CFM, no mechanical or electrical noise, and they're metal. and therefore cost allot. how mcuh are these? i wish i could get 80MM fans that were quiet...

Diggrr said:
Mechanical noise?

I think this mean the constant buzz or whine many fans make, which isn't just the sound of air moving. I don't know exactly what causes it. It could be the coils vibrating as they push the fan, who knows.

mccoyn said:

I think this mean the constant buzz or whine many fans make, which isn't just the sound of air moving. I don't know exactly what causes it. It could be the coils vibrating as they push the fan, who knows.

that's exactly what i meant (thought it was clear, sorry Diggrr ;))

And Hookem, I can't discount your experience, but it sounds from your rant that you've only compared the 92mm Evercool Aluminum to the Panaflo equivalent... Have you done this with 120mms, because if not your post won't amount to much more than brand loyalty (though deserved in a choice of 92mm fans)?

Have you actually connected the Panflo and the Evercool up to a power supply side by side and felt and heard the difference???
nope, but 6 or 7 fellas on the other thread I linked made statements of direct comprarison of the 120mms, and had identical results: they all preferred the evercools to the panaflo's... I, myself, have been swayed in the evercool direction most strongly, and am posting this thread to hear out any last minute arguments for the panaflos before I make my purchasing descision.

If that goes against your 120mm Evercool Aluminum/Panaflo L1A experience, please make that clear - I'd hold your opinion higher than those of another forum, over my overclockers.com loyalty, but those reports'd still nag at me for some time... :/

and since you asked:
And just exactly what is a "case fan audiophiles" ???
It's not a term, it's not in a dictionary, and that's why it's in quotes... I was just making up a short phrase that might acceptably convey my meaning in a short way for those who didn't understand my preceding longer explanatione... evidently, neither was grasped by you, so here's a LONGER one... since you asked so nicely ;)

"Case fan audiophile" - someone who is so concerned about case noise that he/she writes up essay after essay in threads concerning such topics as the ideal rubber grommet compound to reduce case vibration of his/her already quiet HDD... this may also describe a group of people who compile/create many reviews on heatsinks, PSUs, Cases, Fans, and Fan controllers, among other things, with the sole aim of determining what setup shall produce the least noise... (see the SPCR forums in my first post for such a group)

In essence - these fellas are a noteable focus group - their number one priority, it seems, is not overclocking, temperature control, or fancy looking mods.... it's QUIETNESS.

Read around a few of their other posts if you don't believe me. Having examined some of their longer threads, I can say that they do seem to know what they're talking/arguing about, and they do most notably agree that the Evercool Aluminum 120mms make NO "whine," "buzz," or other noise not related to the whooshing of air, and that it is a much better fan than the Panaflo 120mm equivalent, for all of the reasons I posted initially.

Hookem, no hard feelings, but you don't seem to be attacking the opinion I've come to as much as my intelligence :( If you think I'm an idiot, sorry, but I would think I came to a conclusion in a pretty well-informed way :\...

I don't know where to really weigh in on this. I had ALWAYS boght Panaflos,,before. I have one of the Evercools now, pulling aid through a Dtek Pro. At 12v, I find the noise annoying, which is why it is on a Vantec controller. I wish I had just tried the fan by itself to see for sure what I expect is noise caused by the rad and not the fan. I also have the Enermax in the side door ( I also tried it in place of the Evercool), and cranked up to high, it is annoying as he**, too. BUt I have to admit that when I ordered 3 more 120's for my new project, Caprice core with 4 fans in push/pull, I went with the Evercools. And that is not because I already had one. I have also had a 120 H1A and I thought it was too loud for a case mount, replaced it with the Enermax. I found that at lower than 12v levels that the Evercool was pushing more air than the Enermax at a lower noise level when joined to my radiator. I hope that by adding the push side fans that the whoosh noise through the rad is somewhat lowered. The 4 fans will be on a rheobus. And the intake alos won't be right by the keyboard.

Back