• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC and SMP v1rgin (HELP!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCMunkee

hey, im new to both OCing and SMP (ive only had a crappy Toshiba laptop till recently), and i need general and OCing help with two diff. systems, any help is greatly appreciated :D (just i cant buy a lot of stuff, im only 15 so my budget's kinda limited)

SMP Setup (Work In Progress:p)
Motherboard: Dell PowerEdge 2400 (dual slot 1 500-933 PIII)
Memory: 512mb (2x256mb) PC133 CL3 ECC SDRAM

I was wondering which CPU would be best for the Dell mobo i.e. do all slot-1/370-adapted 500-933 P3's work in SMP? or do i need to look for certain ones? also if anyone knows if a PII 450 would run in it (because i already have one).

Main Setup
CPU: P4 2.4Ghz (533FSB)
Mobo: Intel D850EMV2
RAM: 512mb (2x256) Kingston PC800 RDRAM
HDD: 80GB 7200rpm
GFX: PowerColor Radeon 9200SE

thanks,
--OCMunkee

try the p2 if it works it will boot. the p2 wont require a lower voltage than a p3 so its shouldnt get fried. if it works it will boot.
posible that dell disabled the p2 type cpus in the bios but id try it.
What is the chip set, a bx or gx or more recent? (i think the 820 and 840 were For sockets only but never used one.)
The only reason i can see that slokets (slot to socket adapters) would not work is if there was insufficent space to mount colling solutions on top of the chips.

edited for clarity.

Last edited:
OCMunkee said:
do all slot-1/370-adapted 500-933 P3's work in SMP? or do i need to look for certain ones?

From a pure CPU standpoint, they will all do SMP - nothing special about them (unless you get into Tualatins). All that would hold you back is whether or not the slockets are SMP capable (I'm sure most are, but good to buy some that actually specify, such as Upgradeware, or Powerleap). There's also the cooling issue like aftermath said, but you can fit Thermalright SK-6+ heatsinks on almost anything (they are very short). You can also use 1U heatsinks, though hard to find.

I would also give the PII a try - might as well make sure the board works correctly.

thanks guys. ill give the PII a go.. if it works then ill have a look for a second, otherwise ill see where i can get a couple of PIII 500 slot 1's or PIII 370's + Slockets..
really appreciate the reply, thanks again
--ocmunkee

Back