• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help to OC PII 233 MMX on a Intel 440XL mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-FrightM@re-

Registered
Im pretty sure those are the specs, I just got this old Dell from a friend for free and since my good O'l Celeron 300a runs awesome at 450 I wanted to try OCing this PII 233 to like 333 if I could.

I got as far as to switch the jumpers on the mobo that let me go into the Bios and change the MHZ to 300, I did that and put the jumpers back and it didnt even like boot. I tried it at 266 and nothing, I finally had to go back to 233 for it to work, I know this chip can OC I've seen numerous articles about it but I can't figure it out!

Please help me out! Thanks fellas.

Pentiums II's are multiplyer locked which means that you cant overclock them with the multiplyer. unfortunately on an lx motherboard there isn't much room to overclock them, if you have the options for 75 and 83mhz bus speeds you could try one of those but 75 doesn't offer much speed increase and 83 isn't likeyl to work. I have a p2 233 on a bx motherboard and what I did was cover up pin b21 on the chip which allows a 100mhz bus speed, when I first did this the fastest I could get was 280mhz (2.5x112) but with an increase to the voltage and some case cooling I got it up to 333mhz (2.5x133).

note:although on p2's you cant choose higher multiplyer settings you can choose lower.

Not all PIIs are locked! The last 233 I had did 300 without any modifications at all.

Change the BIOS to use a PII300. If it boots, you are almost there. If it freezes after a time try a bigger fan. If you do not have access to a larger fan, set BIOS to a 266....and be happy! If it doesn't boot, change back and try 75mhz FSB.

The alternative is to sell that 233 for around 30 bucks on Ebay and buy a PPGA Celeron and slotket. I've got a LX board with a 533 Celery. My wife uses it for web surfing and email. Any Celery will work with a slotket if your BIOS supports the speed.

OK I have a few more questiond for you ;)

I have this Intel $$)XL mobo but I dont really knwo where teh jumpres are and all that I did get into the bios to change the Mhz from 233 to 266 and 300, does that automatically change my FBS from 66 to 100 or what? or do I have to cover that pin b21 or whatever cause I did that too and it just wont go over 233.

Also I was thinkign maybe its a heat issue so I was goign to put better cooling on this cpu but it has a huge *** metal heatsinkn screwed onto it, can you take it off?!

Thanks guys!

The first thing you need to do is identify what make and model motherboard you have. If you don't have a manual, then go to the company's website. Many of the major board makers have downloadable .PDF file manuals now. The manual will explain what jumpers or which BIOS settings to use.

Some P-II 233 chips had locked multipliers while the earlier ones didn't. Most 233 chips should overclock at least 3.5X75 MHz, assuming you can change bus speeds on your motherboard.

Back