• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

celeron 533 (PPGA) on a Asus P2L97

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kakkerlakk

Hi All,

I'm new to the list, so go easy on me. I have read through most of the old posts here, trying to gather what information I can about adding a celeron 533 to my motherboard. Does this actually work? And if it does, is it overclockable (i.e., could i clock the chip up too 700Mhz??). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My system info:

Asus P2L97 Motherboad (BIOS ver. 1009)
Intel PII-233 (overclocked to 262 Mhz, hehe)
292 megs of RAM
60 gig Maxtor 5,400 RPM drive
ATI Rage Fury 128 Pro (32 meg) video card
Sound Blaster AWE64 soundcard
ricoh cd-rw
creative labs 52x cd-rom

If I left anything, please let me know.

Thanks again,
kakk.

Yep, you wouldn't get much above 533 cuz the Mendocino full-speed cache maxes out around 550Mhz, and the 533 was the last (fastest) of the Mendocino line, and runs already very hot at default voltages. Ofcourse it's always a nice upgrade if you're getting it from someone very cheap, otherwise indeed better save up for a new mobo/cpu/ram (sowwy...).
btw; "kakkerlakk" is Dutch for cockroach, are you from the Netherlands like me?! :D

I had that same motherboard and P-II 233 CPU over 3 years ago. First off, the 533 PPGA won't fit onto a slot one motherboard without using a slotket adapter. If you're going to get a slotket, then get a newer Celeron FC-PGA socket 370 CPU. However, your motherboard will only overclock at 75 and 83 MHz, so you really should get a new motherboard too.

Back